创业成功人士访谈录 第10期:比尔盖茨(4)(在线收听

   Microsoft Is Moving Forward

  微软一路向前
  Bill, what led to your decision to build your own site, your own corporate campus?
  比尔,是什么使你决定建立你自己的网站及你自己的公司呢?
  Well, I was always thinking that environment that we did product development in should be a fun environment,
  嗯,我们生产产品的环境应该是一个很有趣的环境,
  a lot like a college campus.
  像大学校园一样。
  And this idea of using small teams means you want to give them all the tools, all the computers,
  用一个小团队来工作的概念就意味着你要给他们所有的工具、所有的计算机、
  an individual office, whatever it takes
  一间个人办公室和他们需要的任何东西,
  so that they feel like they can concentrate on their jobs and be very creative.
  这样他们才能感觉到自己可以集中精力在工作上并且富有创造性。
  And, in the Northwest, having a lot of trees around,you know,
  你知道,在西北地区树林环绕,
  one, two, and three story buildings where offices are very good sized.
  一、二、三 层楼房内的办公室空间很棒。
  That made sense to me.
  我觉得不错。
  And we had been looking ever since we moved up to Seattle
  自从我们搬到了西雅图之后,
  for a piece of land that wasn’t too far away and yet that would let us grow as a company.
  就一直在寻找一块离市区不远却可以让我们成长为一个公司的地方。
  And in 1986 we actually got to move into our corporate campus.
  1986年,我们搬进了我们的公司园区。
  This kind of shows you one of the buildings here.
  类似于现在你看到的其中一个楼房。
  Initially, there were four buildings like this clustered around the lake you see here,
  起初,我们有4个环湖办公楼,
  and each of the main Development groups each got their own building.
  每一个主要开发团队都 有自己的办公楼。
  And that meant that we really had the best of all worlds.
  那意味着我们有世界 上最好的一切。
  People felt that it was a fun environment,
  大家都觉得那是一个有趣的环境,
  but yet we were really close to each other as far as working together.
  我们在一起工作,彼此感情很好。
  Things like people juggling or riding unicycles around, having barbecues outside,
  外边有杂耍和独轮车表演,人们在室外烧烤,
  having company meetings where everybody would stand around.
  所有人站成一圈开公司会议。
  This was the original ground breaking.
  这是一种全新的尝试。
  And these are two of the developers,
  这是其中两位开发者,
  but here we see Jon Shirley who started with the company in 1983.
  乔雪莉1983年开始在公司工作。
  He came from Radio Shack and played a very critical role,
  他之前在Radio Shack公司担任重要职位,
  because, although I had Steve Ballmer helping me think through business issues,
  尽管我让史蒂夫鲍尔默帮我处理一些商务问题,
  and a lot of other people like Kazuhiko Nishi on the product side, or Paul Alien,
  还有很多其他的人比如彦西和保罗艾伦分管产品,
  it was Jon who helped us really grow,
  但是乔真正地做到了让公司壮大,
  what kind of systems did we have to have in place.
  他知道我们在什么位置需要怎样的系统。
  And Jon had been my good friend when he worked at Radio Shack,
  乔在Radio Shack公司工作的时候就是我的好朋友,
  so we were excited to have him come on board.
  所以我们很高兴他能加入。
  Actually, he was the second president of Microsoft.
  事实上,他是微软的第二任总裁。
  We hired another gentlemen
  之前我们聘请了另外一位绅士,
  who was with us for a little less than a year where it wasn’t a good match.
  他感觉这里不合适,在公司待了不到一年。
  A gentlemen from Tektronix.
  他来自Tektronix公司。
  And then brought in Jon after that.
  之后乔就入职了。
  There was a week in 1986 that was pretty exciting
  1986年的那个星期,我们都非常兴奋,
  because that was the week we moved into the campus.
  因为那一星期我们搬进了校园。
  But that same week we moved in, we went public as a company,
  也就在同一周,我们正式宣布公司成立,
  this is our offering prospectus.
  这是我们的招股说明。
  And that was also the week of Microsoft’s first CD-ROM Conference
  同时,那一周我们召开了微软的第一次CD-ROM会议,
  where we were pushing the idea of multimedia back in 1986 that didn’t really catch on,
  我们把多媒体的概念推回到1986年,那时并没有真正地流行起来,
  you could say,until 1994 so before it was in the mainstream.
  可以说,直到1994年之前都是主流之一。
  But this kind of shows you the pace of activity at that time.
  但是你可以看到那时活动的速度。
  We felt fine to have all those things happen all at once.
  所有事情都来得很快,我们觉得很好。
  And I know that next Monday I flew down to Australia to be part of a big software show down there.
  并且我知道,下个星期一我要飞到澳大利亚去参加一个大型的软件展览会。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/cycgftl/400444.html