英语短文名人故事 政界精英 第7期:鲍叔牙(在线收听

   Bao Shuya 鲍叔牙

  In Chinese culture Bao Shuya is known mainly for his loyalty to his friend,  as well as his open-mindedness and tolerant and his judgement of ability;  在中国文化中,鲍叔牙因其对朋友的忠诚、处事开明、审时度势的能力而著名。
  Guan Zhong's political career and the subsequent power of the state of Qi arguably began from Bao's belief in his friend's talent, which he stood by firmly.  正是因为鲍叔牙对管仲才华的推崇和坚持,才有了后者的政治生涯及齐国实力的强大。
  The Shiji records a quote from Guan regarding his lifelong friend and supporter: 《史记》曾援引了管仲形容其一生的朋友和支持者鲍叔牙的一段话:
  "When Bao and I did business together I would take more profits for myself;  “我当初贫穷时,曾和鲍叔一起做生意,分钱财,自己多拿,
  he did not deem me greedy,  but understood my poverty; 鲍叔不认为我贪财,他知道我贫穷啊!
  when I came up with business ideas that incurred losses “我曾经替鲍叔办事,结果使他处境更难了,
  he did not deem me foolish, but put it down to business fluctuations.  鲍叔不认为我愚蠢,他知道时运有利有不利。
  When I asked for audiences with lords thrice and was thrice rejected he did not deem me useless, but put it down to lack of opportunity;  我曾经三次做官,三次被国君辞退,鲍叔不认为我没有才能,他知道我没有遇到时机。
  when I fled from battle thrice he did not deem me cowardly, but understood I had an ailing mother at home.  我曾经三次作战,三次逃跑,鲍叔不认为我胆怯,他知道我家里有老母亲。
  When Prince Jiu was killed I was jailed and disgraced, and endured it;  公子纠失败了,召忽为之而死,我却被囚受辱,
  he did not deem me shameless, but knew I had greater ambitions.  鲍叔不认为我不懂得羞耻,他知道我不以小节为羞,而是以功名没有显露于天下为耻。
  My parents gave birth to me,  but it is Bao who knows me best." 生我的是父母,了解我的是鲍叔啊!”
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/sjmrzjjy/412378.html