英语听力 暮光之城•暮色 第136期:第八章 天使港(21)(在线收听

 "Why are you in Port Angeles?" “为什么你会在天使港?”

He looked down, folding his large hands together slowly on the table. 他低下头,慢慢地把放在桌上的两只大手叠到一起。
His eyes flickered up at me from under his lashes, the hint of a smirk on his face. 他的眼睛从睫毛下飞快地看了我一眼,脸上露出一丝坏笑。
"Next." “下一个。”
"But that's the easiest one," I objected. “但这是最容易的一个。”我反对。
"Next," he repeated. “下一个。”他重复着。
I looked down, frustrated. 我挫败地低下头。
I unrolled my silverware, picked up my fork, and carefully speared a ravioli. 我拆开我的那套银餐具,拿出叉子,小心地戳起一个馄饨。
I put it in my mouth slowly, still looking down, chewing while I thought. 我慢慢地把它放到嘴里,依然低着头,一边咀嚼一边思考着。
The mushrooms were good. 蘑菇很好吃。
I swallowed and took another sip of Coke before I looked up. 我咽下去,又喝了一口可乐,这才抬起头来。
"Okay, then." I glared at him, and continued slowly. “好吧,那么。”我盯着他,慢慢地说着。
"Let's say, hypothetically of course, that... someone... could know what people are thinking, read minds, you know—with a few exceptions." “比方说,当然只是假设,那么……某个人……能知道别人心里在想什么,你知道的,读心——但总有几个例外。”
"Just one exception," he corrected, "hypothetically." “只有一个例外。”他更正道。“假设。”
"All right, with one exception, then." “好吧,只有一个例外,那么。”
I was thrilled that he was playing along, but I tried to seem casual. 我对他的合作感到很震惊,但我力图表现得不经意些。
"How does that work? What are the limitations? “这到底是怎么做到的?有没有限制条件?
How would...that someone...find someone else at exactly the right time? 那个某人……怎么能够……在恰当的时间找到另一个人?
How would he know she was in trouble?" 他是怎么知道她陷入困境的?”
I wondered if my convoluted questions even made sense. 我想知道自己这些费解的问题有没有意义。
"Hypothetically?" he asked. “只是假设?”他问道。
"Sure." “当然。”
"Well, if...that someone..." “好吧,如果……那个某人……”
"Let's call him 'Joe,'" I suggested. “让我们称他为‘乔'。”我提议道。
He smiled wryly. "Joe, then. If Joe had been paying attention, the timing wouldn't have needed to be quite so exact." 他挖苦地一笑。“乔,那么。如果乔有留心注意的话,时间也许就不需要掐得那么准了。”
He shook his head, rolling his eyes. "Only you could get into trouble in a town this small. 他摇了摇头,转着眼睛。“只有你才能在这么小的城镇里遇上麻烦。
You would have devastated their crime rate statistics for a decade, you know." 你知道,你可能打破了他们十年来的犯罪率统计数据。”
"We were speaking of a hypothetical case," I reminded him frostily. “我们正在谈一个假设的案例。”我冷淡地提醒他。
He laughed at me, his eyes warm. 他冲我大笑起来,眼里盈满了暖意。
"Yes, we were," he agreed. "Shall we call you 'Jane'?" “好吧,我们确实是。”他赞同道。“我们可以称你为‘简'吗?”
"How did you know?" I asked, unable to curb my intensity. “你到底是怎么知道的?”我再也没法抑制住自己的情绪,问道。
I realized I was leaning toward him again. 我意识到自己又在向他侧过身去了。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/mgzcms/437767.html