英语听书《海底两万里》第254期 第20章 托列斯海峡(1)(在线收听

   DURING THE NIGHT of December 27-28, the Nautilus left the waterways of Vanikoro behind with extraordinary speed.  12月27日至28日夜间,诺第留斯号超速度急行,离开了万尼科罗群岛海面。

  Its heading was southwesterly, and in three days it had cleared the 750 leagues that separated La Pérouse's islands from the southeastern tip of Papua. 它向西北方开行,在三天之内,它就走过了从拉·白鲁斯群岛至巴布亚群岛东南尖角的七百五十里。
  On January 1, 1868, bright and early, Conseil joined me on the platform. 1868年1.1日大清早,康塞尔在平台上向我走来,这个老实人对我说:
  Will master, the gallant lad said to me, allow me to wish him a happy new year? 先生, 我给您拜年,祝您一年顺利,好吗?
  Good heavens, Conseil, it's just like old times in my office at the Botanical Gardens in Paris!  那还用问吗,康塞尔,就跟我在巴黎,在植物园中我的工作室中那样。
  I accept your kind wishes and I thank you for them.  我接受你的祝贺,我感谢你。
  Only, I'd like to know what you mean by a 'happy year' under the circumstances in which we're placed.  不过我要问你,在我们目前所处的情况下,你说的一年顺利是什么意思。
  Is it a year that will bring our imprisonment to an end, or a year that will see this strange voyage continue? 这是将使我们在船上的囚禁结束的一年呢?还是仍然继续这奇异的游历旅行的一年呢?
  Ye gods, Conseil replied, I hardly know what to tell master.  我的天,康塞尔回答,我不知道怎样对先生说才好。
  We're certainly seeing some unusual things, and for two months we've had no time for boredom.  我们的确是看到许多希奇古怪的事物,两个月来,我们一点没有感到厌烦。
  The latest wonder is always the most astonishing, and if this progression keeps up, I can't imagine what its climax will be.  最近一次离奇的事也是最惊人的事,长此以往,我真不知道将来怎样结局。
  In my opinion, we'll never again have such an opportunity. 可是我觉得我们永远找不到这种机会了。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/hdlwl/439086.html