英语听书《海底两万里》第257期 第20章 托列斯海峡(4)(在线收听

   I had to rest content with the various specimens of fish brought up by our nets.  我只能看我们的鱼网所打到的各种不同的鱼类。

  Among others I noted some long-finned albacore, a species in the genus Scomber,  我在打到的许多鱼类中间,看到了嘉蒙鱼,
  as big as tuna, bluish on the flanks, and streaked with crosswise stripes that disappear when the animal dies.  这是跟鲸鱼一般大的鳍鱼类,两侧浅蓝色,身上有横斜的带纹,鱼逐渐长大,带纹也就隐役不见了;
  These fish followed us in schools and supplied our table with very dainty flesh.  这类鱼成群结队地陪伴着我们,把特别美味可口的肉供应我们。
  We also caught a large number of yellow-green gilthead, half a decimeter long and tasting like dorado,  鱼网又打到许多青花绸鱼,这鱼长半分米,味道像海绊鲤。
  plus some flying gurnards, authentic underwater swallows that, on dark nights, alternately streak air and water with their phosphorescent glimmers.  又打到锥角飞鱼,这鱼是真正的海底飞燕,在黑夜的时候,放出磷光,轮流在空中和水中照耀。
  Among mollusks and zoophytes, I found in our trawl's meshes various species of alcyonarian coral,  我又在鱼网眼上得到了属于软体类和植虫类的各种不同的翡翠虫、
  sea urchins, hammer shells, spurred-star shells, wentletrap snails, horn shells, glass snails.  海渭、糙鱼、马刺鱼、罗盘鱼、樱子鱼、硝子鱼。鱼网打到的植物花草有飘浮的美丽海藻,刀片藻和大囊藻。
  The local flora was represented by fine floating algae:  这种藻身上有从细孔中分泌出的一种粘液。
  sea tangle, and kelp from the genus Macrocystis, saturated with the mucilage their pores perspire,  在这种海藻里面,我又采得一种十分好看的胶质海藻,
  from which I selected a wonderful Nemastoma geliniaroidea, classifying it with the natural curiosities in the museum. 这海藻在博物馆中归人天然珍宝的一类。
  On January 4, two days after crossing the Coral Sea, we raised the coast of Papua.  走过珊瑚海两天后,1月4日,我们望见了巴布亚岛海岸。
  On this occasion Captain Nemo told me that he intended to reach the Indian Ocean via the Torres Strait.  这时候,尼摩船长告诉我,他打算经托列斯海峡到印度洋去。
  This was the extent of his remarks.  此外,他什么也不说。
  Ned saw with pleasure that this course would bring us, once again, closer to European seas. 尼德·兰很高兴,觉得这条路是渐渐使他跟欧洲海面相接近了。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/hdlwl/439089.html