英语听书《海底两万里》第516期 第32章 海湾暖流(7)(在线收听

 We could hope to be picked up. 我们可以希望他们收留我们。

So it was a promising opportunity, despite the thirty miles that separated the Nautilus from these Union coasts. 所以,尽管“鹦鹉螺号”现在离美联邦海岸还有30海里,这仍是一个有利的机会。
But one distressing circumstance totally thwarted the Canadian's plans. 但令人讨厌的情况完全打乱了加拿大人的计划。
The weather was thoroughly foul. 天气非常糟糕。
We were approaching waterways where storms are commonplace,  我们现在接近的这一带海域经常有暴风雨,
the very homeland of tornadoes and cyclones specifically engendered by the Gulf Stream's current.  确切地说,这是一处由海湾暖流孕育出来的飓风和旋风的发源地。
To face a frequently raging sea in a frail skiff was a race to certain disaster.  如果此时在一只脆弱的小艇上与时常有惊涛,骇浪的海洋作斗争,那肯定是白白送死。
Ned Land conceded this himself.  尼德·兰自己也同意这一点。
So he champed at the bit, in the grip of an intense homesickness that could be cured only by our escape. 因此, 饱受疯狂的思乡病折磨,只有逃跑才能医治好的他,此时只好咬咬牙关忍一忍。
"Sir," he told me that day, "it's got to stop. “先生,”那天他对我说,“这一切该结束了。
I want to get to the bottom of this.  我对此心知肚明。
Your Nemo's veering away from shore and heading up north.  您的尼摩避开陆地向北行驶,
But believe you me, I had my fill at the South Pole and I'm not going with him to the North Pole." 但我得跟您说,我在南极已经受够了,我不想跟他到北极去。”
"What can we do, Ned, since it isn't feasible to escape right now?" “既然这时逃走是行不通的,那怎么办呢,尼德?” 
"I keep coming back to my idea. We've got to talk to the captain. “我还是那个主意,向船长挑明好了。
When we were in your own country's seas, you didn't say a word. 以前我们在您的国家的海里时,您什么也没说。
Now that we're in mine, I intend to speak up. 现在我们在我的国家的海里,我可是想说。
Before a few days are out, I figure the Nautilus will lie abreast of Nova Scotia, and from there to Newfoundland is the mouth of a large gulf, 当我想到,没过几天,‘鹦鹉螺号’就要到新苏格兰的同一纬度上,而那里接近纽芬兰岛,敞开着一个大海湾,
and the St. Lawrence empties into that gulf, and the St. Lawrence is my own river, the river running by Quebec, my hometown, 圣—劳伦斯河就是注入这个海湾的,圣—劳伦斯河是我的河,我的故乡魁北克的河。
and when I think about all this, my gorge rises and my hair stands on end! Honestly, sir, I'd rather jump overboard!  当我想到这些,我便怒发冲冠,我的头发都竖起来了。瞧,先生,我宁可跳到海里去,
I can't stay here any longer! I'm suffocating!" 而不愿意留在这儿!我快闷死了!”
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/hdlwl/440334.html