英语听书《海底两万里》第519期 第32章 海湾暖流(10)(在线收听

 Sir, I said coolly, "I need to speak with you on a matter that simply can't wait." “先生,”我冷静地说,“我想和您谈一件不能再拖延下去的事情。” 

Whatever could that be, sir? he replied sarcastically.  “什么事,先生?”他嘲弄地回答说,
"Have you made some discovery that has escaped me? Has the sea yielded up some novel secret to you?" “您难道有了某个我还没察觉到的发现吗?大海向您展示了它的新秘密吗?” 
We were miles apart.  我们俩的想法牛头不对马嘴。
But before I could reply, he showed me a manuscript open on the table and told me in a more serious tone: 但在我回答之前,他指了指摊开在桌上的手稿,口气较为严肃地对我说:
"Here, Professor Aronnax, is a manuscript written in several languages. “瞧,阿龙纳斯教授,这是一部用好几国语言书写的手稿。
It contains a summary of my research under the sea, and God willing, it won't perish with me. 它包容了我对海洋的研究总结,如果上帝允许的话,这本手稿大概不会随同我一起消失。
Signed with my name, complete with my life story, this manuscript will be enclosed in a small, unsinkable contrivance.  这本手稿署上了我的名字,加上了我一生的经历,它将被装在一个不透水的小盒子里。
The last surviving man on the Nautilus will throw this contrivance into the sea, and it will go wherever the waves carry it." 我们‘鹦鹉螺号’船上的最后一个生存者将把这个盒子投入海中, 让它随波逐流而去。”
The man's name! His life story written by himself! 以这个人的名义!他自己撰写自己的一生经历!
So the secret of his existence might someday be unveiled? 那么他神秘的一生总有一天会被揭示了?
But just then I saw this announcement only as a lead-in to my topic. 但这时,我只把他这番话当作个开场白。
Captain, I replied, "I'm all praise for this idea you're putting into effect. “船长,”我回答说,“我只能赞成您想这么做的想法。
The fruits of your research must not be lost. 因为不应该让您的研究成果毁于一旦。
But the methods you're using strike me as primitive. 但您使用的方法我觉得原始了些。
Who knows where the winds will take that contrivance, into whose hands it may fall? 谁知道风会把这个小盒子吹到哪里去呢?小盒子又会落入谁的手里呢?
Can't you find something better?  难道您不能找出一个更好的办法吗?
Can't you or one of your men... 您或者你们中的一位就不能……”
Never, sir, the captain said, swiftly interrupting me. “绝对不行,先生,”船长急切地打断了我的话。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/hdlwl/440348.html