美国学生世界地理教材 第147期:铁幕国家(3)(在线收听

 Bulgaria is an Iron Curtain country next to the Black Sea. 保加利亚是黑海边的一个国家,

It has forests and mountains as well as farm land. 它有很多森林、山脉和农田。
In the forests live bears, wild-cats, and wild boars. 森林里有熊、野猫和野猪出没。
The ibex, a kind of wild goat, lives there too. 巨角塔尔羊——一种野山羊,也生活在那儿。
And in the mountains there is a goat-like antelope called the chamois. 在山区还生活一种形似山羊的小羚羊,名叫岩羚羊。
We get our name for chamois or "shammy" cloths, used for washing automobiles, from this animal. 我们擦拭汽车用的岩羚羊布,其名正是取自这种动物。
Once chamois cloths were really soft leather from the skin of the chamois, but now we make the cloths from other materials. 岩羚羊布一度是用真岩羚羊皮制成的非常柔软的皮革。但是现在我们采用其他材料制成仿岩羚羊布。
An important business of the Bulgarians is perfumery. 保加利亚一项重要的产业就是香水调制业。
They raise fields of roses from which they make a very fine and expensive perfume called "attar of roses." 他们在大片田地里种植玫瑰花,用玫瑰花生产一种精致、昂贵的香水叫“玫瑰油”。
It takes a whole roomful of rose petals to make only a tiny bottle of attar of roses, so you can see why attar of roses is expensive. 生产一小瓶玫瑰油需要整整一屋子的玫瑰花瓣,这样你就明白为什么玫瑰油这么贵了吧。
Albania is a little country where most of the people raise farm crops or cattle and sheep. 阿尔巴尼亚是一个小国,大部分人种植庄稼或饲养牛羊。
In parts of Albania the men wear skirts that reach to their knees and stick out all around like a dancer's. 在阿尔巴利亚一些地方,男人穿齐膝的裙子,裙摆像舞裙一样向外张开。
The skirts that the men wear in Scotland are made of dark-colored cloths but the skirts worn by Albanian men are white. 苏格兰男人穿的裙子布料是深颜色的,而阿尔巴利亚男人穿的短裙则是白色的。
Jugoslavia is a country just across the Adriatic Sea from Italy. 隔着亚得里亚海与意大利遥遥相望的国家是南斯拉夫。
It has many forests. It also has copper mines. 南斯拉夫有丰富的森林和铜矿资源。
In fact more copper is mined in Jugoslavia than in any other European country. 事实上,南斯拉夫铜矿产量比其他任何一个欧洲国家的都要多。
When I hear the name of a place or a person, some one thing usually pops into my head, though that thing may not be at all important. 当我听到一个地名或人名,就会立刻联想到某个东西,尽管那个东西也许一点都不重要。
If I hear "George Washington," the first thing that pops into my head is "cherry-tree." 听到“乔治.华盛顿”,首先出现在我脑海的是樱桃树。
If I hear "New York," the first thing I think of is "sky-scrapers." So when I hear "Finland," I think of marshes. 听到“纽约”,我马上想到摩天大楼。听到“芬兰”,我想到沼泽地。
When I hear "Poland," I think of music. 听到“波兰”,我想到音乐。
When I hear "Austria," I think of Vienna rolls. 听到“奥地利”,我想到维也纳面包卷。
When I hear "Hungary," I think of the Blue Danube. 听到“匈牙利”,我想到蓝色多瑙河。
When I hear "Romania," I think of Gypsies. 听到“罗马尼亚”,我想到吉卜赛人。
When I hear "Bulgaria," I think of chamois and perfumes. 听到“保加利亚”,我想到岩羚羊和香水。
When I hear "Albania," I think of men with skirts. 听到“阿尔巴尼亚”,我想到穿短裙的男人。
When I hear "Czechoslovakia," I think of china and glass. 听到“捷克斯洛伐克”,我想到瓷器和玻璃。
When I hear "Jugoslavia," I think of copper. 听到“南斯拉夫”,我想到铜。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/mgxssjdljc/443666.html