英语PK台 第410期:我从肯尼亚来,中国是我家(在线收听

   Track One

  A lot of people, when I meet them here—the first question is:
  我遇到的很多人,他们问我的第一个问题是:
  "What school do you go to?"
  "你在哪里上学?"
  I am not a student.
  我不是学生。
  Ok what do you do? I work
  哦,那你是做什么的?我在工作。
  They say "Oh, you don't do business?" "No!"
  他们又说,"哦,你没有做生意?""没有!"
  So you came to China to study and then you found your job?
  所以你是先来中国学习,然后再找的工作吗?
  "No. I came from Kenya to China for a job".
  "不是,我直接从肯尼亚来中国工作。"
  They go—"Oh that's interesting. Very strange."
  他们感叹——"哦,有意思,挺奇怪的啊。"
  Sometimes the conversation ends there.
  有时,我和他们的对话就在这里结束了。
  You get to realise that a lot of people don't know there are a lot of African people here, who I have met, who are doing so many different things.
  你得知道,不少人其实并不了解中国有很多非洲人,我认识他们,而他们也在做着各种各样的事情。
  Some in fashion, modelling, teaching—doing so many different things
  有的人在时尚业,有的人是模特,还有的人在教书——各行各业的人都有
  But the fact that we predominately have diplomats and students here
  但事实上,我们中大多数都是外交官和学生。
  It kind of lets people have this kind of preconceived ideas about Africans in China
  这就是中国人心目中对非洲人的(先入为主的)印象。
  A lot of people think she must be a student, or a diplomat or just somebody visiting to buy stuff.
  他们会觉得这个非洲人肯定是学生、外交官或者买东西的游客。
  Having been here this long I now see myself as a ‘third culture kid'
  在中国这么长时间了,我早就把自己看作"第三文化小孩"
  Kenya is home, China is home.
  肯尼亚是家,中国也是家。
  I do not have a permanent address yet—where I would say I want to retire
  我现在居无定所,我也不知道我会在哪里退休。
  I am a kind of person who is interested in travelling
  我非常喜欢旅行
  So I am taking this opportunity while I am in China
  所以我要趁自己在中国的时候好好享受旅行
  This is my time to travel Asia, to get to know different cultures, especially in Southeast Asia
  这是我的亚洲之旅,我要借此机会了解不同的文化,特别是东南亚的文化
  And so after China I do not know what is going to happen
  所以,我不知道离开中国后会发生些什么
  But, for now, all I know is that this is my home.
  但是,现在我非常确定中国就是我的家。
  And Kenya is my home as well.
  肯尼亚也是我的家。
  But I still have to figure out what is going to happen in the future
  不过我仍然要搞清楚未来会发生些什么
  As I still think I am quite young—so I still have time to decide what I want to do
  我还年轻,所以我有充足的时间来决定自己想做的事情
  Track Two
  The only worries I have about staying here permanently is things like pollution
  如果说要在这里永久居住,我唯一的担心就是环境污染问题
  Everything else love it!
  其他的一切都很好!
  Chinese people find it a bit strange that westerners want to come to live here
  看到西方人想要居住在这里,中国人觉得有点奇怪
  It also depends on what kind of westerners or foreigners they are talking to
  这其实也要看对方是是什么样的西方人
  Chinese people are fascinated with black people
  中国人对黑人尤为好奇
  For most of them it is the first time they have come into contact
  对大多数中国人来说,这是他们第一次接触黑人
  And ask so many questions like "Where are you from?"—especially the taxi drivers.
  所以,他们最爱问的问题就是,"你是哪个国家的啊?"——出租车司机尤其爱问这个问题
  Beijing—and they go "Impossible"!!
  北京——他们说"不可能!!"
  But I live here—this is my home—No, no,no!!
  但是我住在这里——这是我的家——不,不!!
  You are ‘meiguoren'?—No I am not an American I am from Africa
  你是美国人?不,我不是美国人,我来自非洲
  "Oh, I see. So which part of Africa?" "Kenya"
  "哦,知道了。非洲哪个国家啊?""肯尼亚"
  "So you run a lot?"
  "那你肯定很能跑咯?"
  "Yes in the gym!!"
  "对,在健身房里跑!"
  It is very fascinating about how they react to us foreigners
  中国人遇到外国人时的反应其实挺有趣的
  I have got a friend from Gabon, Luke Benza.
  Luke Benza是我的朋友,他来自加蓬。
  He is an actor, a martial arts person.
  他是一名演员,也是练武术的
  He has been here for over 30 years. Every time I meet him I still cannot believe he has been here for 30 years.
  他在中国已经30多年了。每次我见到他时,我都不敢相信他在中国已经有30年了。
  Right now, me being black and African is so fascinating.
  对我来说,黑人和非洲人的身份是很奇妙的体验。
  I can only imagine coming at 14 and going to the Shaolin Temple for a year and a half
  我只能想象14岁来中国,然后在少林寺待了一年半
  What it must have been like for him.
  那么对他来说,恐怕就是这个样子的吧。
  After China and Africa started doing business—right now if you went to Africa there are so many Chinese people
  在中国和非洲开始了贸易往来后——如果你现在去非洲,你一定能见到不少中国人
  In Kenya on the streets you see a Chinese person hawking phones, selling things on the street
  在肯尼亚的大街上,你可以看到中国人在兜售手机和其他的东西
  And then you find Chinese restaurants just mushrooming and buildings cropping up with Chinese writings on them
  你还会看到:中餐馆(涌现)到处都是,各种拔地而起的建筑上也都写着中国字
  And all the Confucius Institutes.
  当然,还有遍地都是的孔子学院。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/yypkt/446981.html