英语PK台 第413期:酸甜苦辣咸,味觉看性格(在线收听

   Dialogue 1

  Jingjing: Ohh, I'm craving some chocolate right now. Let's go to the store and get some.
  京晶:哦,我现在特别馋巧克力。我们去商店买一些吧。
  Mark: You're in luck. I just so happen to have some chocolate in my house. After all, Spring Festival is just around the corner.
  马克:那你太幸运了,我家正好就有巧克力。毕竟,春节快要到啦。
  Jingjing: You're the best. Gimme gimme gimme!
  京晶:你太给力了。快给我给我给我!
  Mark: Hold your horses. I have two different kinds of chocolate: dark and milk chocolate. Which do you prefer?
  马克:稍安毋躁。我有两种不同类型的巧克力:黑巧克力和牛奶巧克力。你喜欢哪个?
  Jingjing: Dark chocolate please! It's my favorite!
  京晶:黑巧克力!这是我的最爱!
  Mark: No problem, here you go. Just as I suspected.
  马克:没问题,给你,跟我猜的一样。
  Jingjing: What do you mean, just as you suspected?
  京晶:跟你猜的一样?什么意思?
  Mark: Don't you know? People who crave dark chocolate tend to be social butterflies and the life of the party. That's definitely you!
  马克:你难道不知道吗?喜欢黑巧克力的人往往都善于社交且受人瞩目。这绝对就是你啊!
  Jingjing: So you're saying that the kinds of food people crave are related to their personalities?
  京晶:所以你的意思是说人喜欢什么食物跟个性有关喽?
  Mark: According to Dr. Alan Hirsch, yes. Over the past 25 years, he's examined almost 20,000 patients and found that there are some consistencies about what we eat say about our personalities.
  马克:根据艾伦·赫希医生的研究,确实是这样的。在过去的25年里,他检验了近2万例患者,发现人对食物的喜好和性格有一定的关联。
  Jingjing: That's amazing. You know? Lately I've been kinda down in the dumps. Does that have anything to do with why I've been wanting chocolate too?
  京晶:这太神奇了。你知道吗,最近我一直过得很糟糕。这是不是跟我一直想巧克力有关系?
  Mark: It sure does. Chocolate is a known mood booster.
  马克:肯定是。巧克力是公认的心情助推器。
  Jingjing: Oh, well quick, gimme some of that chocolate. I wanna feel better!
  京晶:哦,快,再给我一些巧克力。我想心情变好!
  习语短语
  crave=渴望,强烈愿望(通常用于食品)
  You're in luck.=你很幸运,好消息; 事情对你有利。
  just around the corner=指日可待,(时间和地点)非常接近
  hold your horses=稍安毋躁,稍等片刻
  social butterfly=交际花,擅于结交朋友的人
  the life of the party=受人瞩目的人,很受欢迎的人
  down in the dumps=伤心;情绪低落
  mood booster=情绪助推器,让你感觉(情绪)更好的东西
  Dialogue 2
  Mark and Jingjing have just arrived at a restaurant. They are looking at the menu, deciding which type of food to order.
  马克和京晶刚刚抵达餐厅。他们正在看菜单,决定吃什么。
  Mark: Man, I just can't make up my mind. So many things on this menu look delicious.
  马克:天啊,我不知道怎么决定。菜单上有这么多东西都看起来很好吃的样子。
  Jingjing: Can I make a suggestion? Try these two dishes. I think you'll like them.
  京晶:我可以提个建议吗?试试这两道菜。我想你会喜欢的。
  Mark: Hmmm. That does sound pretty good. I think I'll give it a try.
  马克:嗯。看起来很不错。我来试试看。
  Jingjing: See. I read your mind. Do you know why I chose these two dishes for you?
  京晶:看吧?我能看透你的心。你知道我为什么选择了这两道菜给你吗?
  Mark: Not a clue.
  马克:不知道啊。
  Jingjing: One of them is sweet, the other is salty. People who crave sweet and salty dishes tend to be loners. But don't get upset! They're also really creative.
  京晶:它们其中一个是甜的,另一种是咸的。一般独来独往的人爱吃甜咸口。但是,不要生气!他们也很有创意。
  Mark: Hey, how did you know that?
  马克:嘿,你怎么会知道?
  Jingjing: I did my homework. Plus, we are best friends. I can read you like a book.
  京晶:我研究过啊。况且我们是最好的朋友。我可以非常准确地看透你的想法和感受。
  Mark: That's not fair!
  马克:这不公平!
  Jingjing: Also, people who like sweet and salty foods are often misunderstood as being standoffish. Now that's definitely you!
  京晶:此外,爱吃甜咸口的人经常被人误解为很冷淡。这绝对说的就是你!
  Mark: Tell me some more!
  马克:你再仔细说说!
  Jingjing: Well, people who crave only salty flavors tend to go with the flow, and let the outside world determine their fate.
  京晶:嗯,只喜欢咸味的人倾向于随大流,让外界决定他们的命运。
  Mark: How about spicy foods?
  马克:那喜欢吃辣的人呢?
  Jingjing: People who crave spicy foods tend to dislike order and wasting time.
  京晶:爱吃辣的人往往不喜欢遵守秩序和浪费时间。
  Mark: Okay, enough talking. My stomach's growling. Waiter! We're ready to order!
  马克:好吧,说得我肚子都咕咕叫了。服务员!点菜!
  习语短语
  make up one's mind=决定做某事
  to read one's mind=看透一个人的内心,非常准确地猜测对方的想法或感受
  not a clue=不知道
  loner=独来独往的人,花很多时间独处的人
  I did my homework.=我做了功课,我研究了这个问题。
  read someone like a book=同“read one's mind”,清楚地了解某人的动机(思想等)
  standoffish=高冷的,不友好的
  go with the flow=随大流
  My stomach's growling.=我的肚子都咕咕叫了,我饿极了。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/yypkt/446986.html