向前一步:第234期 为平等而不懈努力(13)(在线收听

 And yet, in a deep and profound way, we are failing. 然而,我们正在隐隐地滑向失败,

Because feminism wasn't supposed to make us feel guilty, 因为女权主义运动的目的并不是让我们感到自责,
or prod us into constant competitions over who is raising children better, organizing more cooperative marriages, or getting less sleep. 或是把我们推进无尽的竞争,去比较谁的孩子更优秀、谁的婚姻更稳固或是谁工作的时间更长;
It was supposed to make us free, 它的目的在于让我们感到自由,
to give us not only choices but the ability to make these choices without constantly feeling that we'd somehow gotten it wrong." 不仅拥有选择的自由,而且在做出这些选择时不会总感觉自己犯了错”。
Stay-at-home mothers can make me feel guilty and, at times, intimidate me. 那些全职母亲会让我觉得内疚,有时甚至还会让我害怕。
There are moments when I feel like they are judging me, and I imagine there are moments when they feel like I am judging them. 我常常觉得周围的人在批评我,我猜她们或许也会觉得我在批评他们。
But when I push past my own feelings of guilt and insecurity, I feel grateful. 但是,当我推开自己的内疚和不安全感后,我心里充满了感激。
These parents — mostly mothers — constitute a large amount of the talent that helps sustain our schools, nonprofits, and communities. 这些父母(通常是母亲)中有相当多的人极富才干,他们会帮助社会协助学校、非营利性组织和社区的管理。
Remember that mom who pointed out that my son should be wearing a green T-shirt on St. Patrick's Day? 还记得我前面提过的那位“无所不知”的母亲吗?
She is a tireless volunteer in the classroom and our community. 她是一位在课堂上和社区里都很活跃的志愿者,
So many people benefit from her hard work. 很多人都因为她的工作而受益。
Society has long undervalued the contributions of those who work without a salary. 那些不拿报酬却依然奋斗在工作岗位上的人,他们的贡献长期被社会低估了。
My mother felt this slight keenly. 我的母亲对此有强烈的感受。
For seventeen years, she worked more than full-time as a mother and on behalf of Soviet Jewry. 17年来,她既要当母亲又要为苏联犹太人协会工作,这已远不只是一份全职工作。
 
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/xqyb/476279.html