美国小学英语教材5:第206课 童子军如何生火(2)(在线收听

“Are you going to build your fire there, sir?”

“你要在那儿生火吗,先生?”

“Why, yes,’’ Mr.Grayson replied, “I guess it’ll burn here.”

“是的,为什么不呢,”格雷森先回复,“我想这里会烧起来的。”

“That’s the trouble,” the Scout came back with a quick flash; “it will burn too well.

“这就是麻烦所在,”侦察员闪了一下回来了;“它会烧得很好。

Where you have it in those pine needles, it’s going to set fire to them and maybe to your camp.

当你把它放在松针里的时候,它就会点燃它们,也许还会烧到你的营地。”

Of course, I wouldn’t like that, but worse for us around here, it will set fire to the big forest.

当然,我不喜欢那样,但更糟的是,对我们这里的人来说,还会烧毁大森林。

You see, I live just outside of the forest, and—”

你看,我就住在森林外面,而且——”

“Has anything like that ever happened in this forest?” Mr.Grayson broke in.

“在这片森林里曾经发生过这样的事情吗?”格雷森先生闯了进来

“Yes, sir.

“是的,先生。

Just last summer we had an awful fire that started from a campfire.

就在去年夏天,我们有一场可怕的火灾,起因是一场营火。

A man built a big fire, the wind came up, and before the man and his wife could put it out, it had burned their tent and all their camp outfit.

一个男人生了一堆大火,风刮了起来,他和妻子还没来得及把火扑灭,大火就把他们的帐篷和所有的露营装备都烧了。”

“Another fire that a camper left burned into the forest and grew to be so big that it burned several ranch houses, and the people just got away in time.

“一名露营者留下的另一场大火烧毁了森林,火势越来越大,烧毁了几座牧场房屋,人们及时逃离了现场。

Another time— ”

还有一次——”

Impressed by the boy’s earnestness, Mr.Grayson interrupted him.

格雷森先生被这孩子的认真打动,打断了他的话。

“I’m new at this camping game, sonny, and I certainly do not want my fire to harm this wonderful forest.

“我是新手,孩子,我当然不希望我的火伤害这片美丽的森林。

Will you tell me just how I can make a safe fire?”

你能告诉我怎样才能安全生火吗?”

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/mgxxyyjc/d5c/483824.html