老友记精校版第1季 第97期:祖母死了两回(11)(在线收听

Rachel: Pheebs, could you maybe hand me a cracker?

Pheebs,递块饼干给我好吗?

Mrs. Geller: Your grandmother would have hated this.

你外婆会不高兴的。

Monica: Well, sure, what with it being her funeral and all.

恩,当然,这可是她的葬礼啊。

Mrs. Geller: No, I'd be hearing about 'Why didn't I get the honeyglazed ham?'.I didn't spend enough on flowers, and if I spent more she'd be saying 'Why are you wasting your money? I don't need flowers, I'm dead'.

不,我听到的是“为什么我没有蜜酿火腿?”。我没买太多的花,如果买多了她会说“为什么你要浪费钱?我不要花,我都死了

Monica: That sounds like Nana.

听起来是外婆的性格。

Mrs. Geller: Do you know what it's like to grow up with someone who is critical of every single thing you say?

你知道从小到大和挑剔你每一句话的人生活在一起的滋味吗?

Monica: I can imagine.

我想像得到。

Mrs. Geller: I'm telling you, it's a wonder your mother turned out to be the positive, lifeaffirming person that she is.

我告诉你,你妈妈我能变成这样一个积极向上、坚定生活的人,真是个奇迹。

TMonica: That is a wonder.So tell me something, Mom. If you had to do it all over again, I mean, if she was here right now, would you tell her?

这是个奇迹。告诉我,妈妈。如果你可以重来一次,我的意思是,如果她现在在这儿,你会告诉她吗?

Mrs. Geller: Tell her what?

告诉她什么?

Monica: How she drove you crazy, picking on every little detail, like your hair...for example.

她怎么让你抓狂,挑剔每一个细节,比如你的头发……之类的。

Mrs. Geller: I'm not sure I know what you're getting at.

我不明白是否听懂你的意思了。

Monica: Do you think things would have been better if you'd just told her the truth?

你认为如果你告诉她实情会比较好吗?

Mrs. Geller: No. I think some things are better left unsaid. I think it's nicer when people just get along.

不。我认为有些事不说会比较好。我想大家融洽相处比较好。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/lyjjjb/lyjjjb1/497200.html