奥巴马每周电视讲话:美国总统奥巴马告别演讲(12)(在线收听

And isn't that part of what so often makes politics dispiriting?

不正是这些因素使人们对政治感到失望的吗?

How can elected officials rage about deficits when we propose to spend money on preschool for kids, but not when we're cutting taxes for corporations?

如果政客没有对削减企业税感到不满的话,那我们提议增加对学龄前儿童的支出时,他们凭什么感到愤怒呢?

How do we excuse ethical lapses in our own party, but pounce when the other party does the same thing?

在抨击其他政党腐败的同时,我们怎么能宽宥党内腐败呢?

It's not just dishonest, this selective sorting of the facts; it's self-defeating.

这些行为不只是不诚实,更是对事实的区别对待,是自我毁灭的行径。

Because, as my mom used to tell me, reality has a way of catching up with you.

因为,就像我母亲曾经告诉我的,现实总能让你自食其果。

Take the challenge of climate change.

让我们接受气候变化带来的挑战吧。

In just eight years, we've halved our dependence on foreign oil;

仅仅八年,我们对国外石油的需求量就削减了一半,

we've doubled our renewable energy;

可再生能源的产量也翻了一倍。

奥巴马一家人

we've led the world to an agreement that has the promise to save this planet.

我们领导世界各国达成协议,承诺拯救我们生活的星球。

But without bolder action, our children won't have time to debate the existence of climate change.

但是如果不坚决地采取行动,我们的孩子将没有时间再讨论气候变化问题是否存在,

They'll be busy dealing with its effects:

他们将忙于应对气候变化带来的各种影响:

more environmental disasters, more economic disruptions, waves of climate refugees seeking sanctuary.

更多的环境问题,更多对经济的阻碍和一拨又一拨寻求美好生活环境的气候移民。

Now, we can and should argue about the best approach to solve the problem.

现在,我们可以并且应该讨论解决环境问题的最佳方案。

But to simply deny the problem not only betrays future generations,

单纯地否认问题的存在是对后人的不负责,

it betrays the essential spirit of this country,

是对我们国家精神的实质的背叛,

the essential spirit of innovation and practical problem-solving that guided our Founders.

是对我们开国元勋的创新与解决实际问题精神的背离。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/obamadsjh/525374.html