《远大前程》第2章 抓住一名罪犯(4)(在线收听

You shall have some,Pip,said Joe kindly.

你也会有一份肉饼,匹普,乔和蔼地说。

I knew what would happen next.

我料到下一步会发生什么事情,

I could not sit there any longer.

我不能在这儿继续坐下去了,

I jumped down from the table,and ran out of the room.

我从椅子上跳下来,拔腿跑出了屋外。

But at the front door I ran straight into a group of soldiers.

但是,在前门口,我直奔入一队士兵里。

Mrs Joe was saying as she came out of the kitchen,The pie-has-gone!but stopped when she saw the soldiers.

当乔夫人从厨房里出来时,嘴里正在叨咕,肉饼——不翼而飞!可是,当她看到士兵们时,闭上了嘴。

Excuse me,ladies and gentlemen,said the officer in charge.I'm here in the King's name,and I want the black-smith.

对不起,女士们、先生们,那个负责的军官说,我在这里以国王的名义,要找铁匠。

And why do you want him?said my sister crossly.

你们找他干吗?我姐姐不高兴地问。

Madam,replied the officer Politely,speaking for myself,I'd like the pleasure of meeting his fine wife.

夫人,军官客气地说,就我自己而言,我乐意见到他美丽的妻子,

Speaking for the King,I'd like him to repair these handcuffs.

要是就国王而言,我乐意他修理加固这些手铐。

Ah,very good,very good! said Mr Pumblechook,clap-ping.

噢,很好,很好!潘波趣先生拍着手说。

The soldiers waited in the kitchen while Joe lit the forge fire and started work.

士兵们在厨房等候,而乔生上炉火,开始干活。

I began to feel better now that everyone had forgotten the missing pie.

我渐渐地不害怕了,大家都把丢肉饼的事抛到脑后去了。

How far are we from the marshes?asked the officer.

我们从这里到沼泽地有多远?军官问。

About a mile,replied Mrs Joe.

大约1英里,乔夫人回答。

That's good.We'll catch them before it's dark.

那不太远,我们将在天黑前抓到他们。

Convicts,officer?asked Mr Wopsle.

逃犯,军官?伍甫赛先生问。

Yes,two escaped convicts out on the marshes.Has anyone here seen them?

是的,有两个逃犯还躲在沼泽地里,有谁见过他们的踪迹吗?

The others all shook their heads.Nobody asked me.

其他的人都摇摇头,幸亏没有人问我。

When the handcuffs were ready,Joe suggested we should go with the soldiers,and as Mrs Joe was curious to know what happened,she agreed.

当手铐准备就绪,乔提议我们跟着这些官兵一起去,乔夫人好奇地想知道发生了什么事情,所以她同意了。

So Joe,Mr wopsle and I walked behind the men through the village and out on to the marshes.

因此,乔、伍甫赛先生和我走在队伍的后面,穿过村庄向沼泽地开进。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/ydqcsy/530246.html