《远大前程》第3章 给匹普的一次机会(3)(在线收听

Remember,reader,he had a good heart.

记住,读者,他有一颗好心。

Did you invent that yourself,Joe?I asked,surprised .

乔,你自己想出来的吗?我惊讶地问道。

I did,said Joe proudly.

就是我,乔自豪地说,

It came to me in a moment.From my own head.

从我自己头脑里不加思索地出来了。

But,Pip,sad to say,there wasn't enough money for the gravestone.

但是,匹普,悲哀地说,我没有足够的钱去立这块墓碑。

My poor mother needed it.In bad health,she was.

我可怜的妈妈需要钱,她身体不好。

She died soon after.

不久,她就离开了人间,

Found peace at last.Joe's blue eyes were watery.

最后找到了安宁。乔的蓝眼睛湿润了。

I was lonely then,and I met your sister.

我从此孤独一人。后来,我认识了你姐姐,

Now,Pip,Joe looked firmly at me,because he knew I was not going to agree with him,your sister is a fine woman!

匹普,乔紧紧地盯着我。因为他知道我不会赞成他的,你姐姐是个好女人!

I could think of nothing better to say thanI'm glad you think so,Joe.

我想不出比这更好的语言我很高兴你这样想,乔。

So am I,said Joe.I'm glad I think so.

彼此,彼此,乔说,我很高兴这样想,

Very kind of her,bringing you up by hand.Such a tiny baby you were!

她太仁慈了,亲手把你带大,你是这么小小的婴儿!

So when I offered to marry your sister,I said,And bring the poor little child to live with us.

当时,我向你姐提出结婚,我说,带着这个可怜的小孩子和我们一起生活吧,

There's room for him at the forge!

在锻工车间里有间屋子给他!

I put my arms round Joe's neck and cried into his shirt.

我搂着乔的脖子,啼哭着,泪水湿透他的衬衫。

Don't cry,old boy!he said.Always the best of friends,you and me!

不要哭,老伙计!他说,你和我永远是最好的朋友!

As I dried my tears,he continued,So here we are,Pip!

当我擦干眼泪,他继续说,我们就在这儿,匹普!

Now if you teach me a bit Mrs Joe must never know.

现在你如果教我一点儿,决不能让乔夫人知道。

And why?Because she likes to be-in charge-you know-giving the orders.

为什么呢?因为她喜欢—下命令—你知道—就是发号施令。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/ydqcsy/530250.html