《远大前程》第3章 给匹普的一次机会(11)(在线收听

We played with flags,I answered.

我们玩旗子,我回答说,

What lies I was telling!Estella waved a blue one,and I had a red one,and Miss Havisham waved one with little gold stars on,out of the carriage window.

我撒的弥天大谎! 艾丝黛拉挥舞着蓝色的一面旗,我有红色的一面旗,郝薇香小姐在马车窗户外面挥动着一面旗,上面镶着小金星。

Fortunately they asked no more questions,and were still discussing the wonderful things I had seen,when Joe came in from the forge.

幸运的是他们再没有问题,仍然在讨论我所见到漂亮的东西,这时乔从锻工车间进来了。

When I saw his blue eyes open wide in surprise,I felt very sorry I had lied,and that evening,

当我看到他吃惊地瞪着蓝色的大眼睛时,我对自己编造的谎言很内疚。

as soon as I found Joe alone for a moment,I confessed to him that I had lied about my visit to Miss Havisham.

我一发现乔独自呆一会儿时,就向他供认了关于我去拜访郝花香小姐所编造的谎话。

Is none of it true,Pip?he asked,shocked.No black carriage ? But at least there were dogs, weren't there,Pip?No?Not even one dog?

那全不是真的?匹普!他摇着头问,没有黑的马车?但是,至少有狗吧,对吗?匹普,没有?一条狗也没有?

No,Joe,I'm sorry.

没有,乔,很抱歉。

Pip,old boy!His kind face looked very unhappy.If you tell lies,where do you think you'll go when you die?

匹普,老伙计!他慈祥的脸上看上去很不高兴,如果你说谎,当你死了,想想你会去哪儿?

I know,Joe,it's terrible.I don't know what happened.Oh I wish I didn't have such thick boots and such coarse hands!I'm so miserable,Joe.

我知道,乔,那是可怕的,我不知道发生什么事情,我希望我没有如此笨重的靴子和粗糙的双手!我是如此悲惨,乔。

That beautiful young lady at Miss Havisham's said I was common.And I know I am!Somehow that made me tell lies.

在郝薇香小姐家那个漂亮的年轻小姐说我是普通人家。我知道我是!莫名其妙地让我说谎。

One thing to remember,Pip, said Joe,lighting his pipe slowly,is that lies are always wrong.

有一件事情要记住,匹普,乔点上烟斗说,说谎总是错误的,

You can't stop being common by telling lies.

你不能通过说谎来改变普通人家的身份,

That's not the way to do it.

那样做是没有出路的。

And you're learning all the time,Pip!

你所有的时间都在学习,匹普!

Look at that letter you wrote me last night!

看看你昨天晚上给我写的那封信!

Even the King had to start learning at the beginning, didn't he?

即使是国王开始也要从头做起,不是吗?

That reminds me,any flags at Miss Havisham's?No?That's a pity.Look here,Pip,this is a true friend speaking to you.

这倒提醒我,郝薇香小姐家有旗子吗?没有?实在可怜。看这儿,匹普,这是一个真正的朋友对你说的话,

Take my advice.No more lies,live well, and die happy.

记住我的劝告,不再说谎,才能活得自在,死得痛快。

Encouraged by Joe's honest words I went to bed,

我被乔诚实的话语鼓励着去睡觉了。

but I couldn't stop myself thinking that Estella would consider Joe's boots too thick and his hands too coarse,and our whole family common.

但是,自己静不下心,一直在想,艾丝黛拉认为乔的靴子太笨重,他的双手太粗糙和我们的普通世家。

That was a day I shall never forget.

那是我难忘的一天。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/ydqcsy/530258.html