《远大前程》第12章 匹普真相大白(2)(在线收听

Herbert and I had moved to rooms in a house by the river,in the Temple area.

我和赫伯特迁移到河附近住处,位于寺庙区。

One evening he was abroad on business and I was alone at home,reading.

一天晚上,他还在国外办理业务,我独自在家里看书。

It was terrible weather,stormy and wet,with deep mud in the streets.

天气恶劣,暴风骤雨和潮湿,大街上泥泞不堪。

The wind rushing up the river shook the whole building,and the rain beat violently against the windows.

狂风冲击着河水震动整个楼房,大雨猛烈地击打着窗户。

As I closed my book at eleven oclock,I heard a heavy footstep on the stairs.

当我在11点钟合上书本时,听到楼梯上有沉重的脚步声。

When I went to the door with my lamp,I saw a man coming slowly upstairs.

当我拿着灯走到门口时,看到一个人正缓慢地上楼。

He was wearing rough clothes,and he was about six-ty,with a brown face and long grey hair.

他穿着一身粗制的衣服,他有一副褐色的脸,蓄着一头灰色长发,大约60岁左右。

But what really surprized me was that he was holding out both hands to me.

不过,让我真正吃惊的是他向我伸出双手。

Can I help you?I asked politely but coldly.

我能帮你的忙吗?我有礼貌地但冷冰冰地说。

Ah!Yes,he said,dropping his hands,yes,I'll explain.

啊,是呀,他放下他的手说,是的,我会解释的。

He came into the sitting-room,where he looked round admiringly at my furniture and books.

他进到客厅,他羡慕地看看周围的家具和书本,

He held out his hands to me again,but I refused to take them.

又向我伸出双手,但被我拒绝。

Then he sat down heavily in a chair,and rubbed his eyes with one rather dirty hand.

然后,他吃力地坐在椅子上,用一只很脏的手揩着眼睛。

You see,he said,its disappointing.Looked forward to this day for so long,I have.

你明白,他说,让我很失望。这一天我盼望了很久。

But its not your fault.Ill explain.Is there anybody near who can hear us?

不过,不会怪你的不友好相待,我会解释的。旁边没有人能听到我们谈话吧?

Why do you,a stranger,visiting me late at night,ask that question?I asked.

你为什么这样做,一个陌生人,深更半夜到我屋里来,问这种问题?我问道。

And then suddenly I knew who he was!In spite of the years that had passed,I was sure he was my convict!

这时,我突然认出了他是谁!尽管岁月流逝许多年,我确信他是我那个囚犯!

And when he held out his hands again,this time I took them.He raised my hands to his lips and kissed them.

他又伸出双手,这一次我接过他的双手,他把我的双手捧到嘴边接着吻了我的双手。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/ydqcsy/531241.html