四签名 85大宗阿格拉宝物(4)(在线收听

At this moment Athelney Jones thrust his broad face and heavy shoulders into the tiny cabin.

这时,埃瑟尔尼·琼斯向舱内伸进头来,

"Quite a family party," he remarked. "I think I shall have a pull at that flask, Holmes.

说道:"你们真象一家人在团聚。福尔摩斯,请给我一些酒喝。

Well, I think we may all congratulate each other.

咱们大家都该互相庆贺啊。

Pity we didn't take the other alive, but there was no choice.

可惜那一个没有被咱们活捉,那也没有办法。

I say, Holmes, you must confess that you cut it rather fine.

福尔摩斯,亏得你下手在先,

It was all we could do to overhaul her."

不然会遭到他的毒手呢。"

"All is well that ends well," said Holmes.

福尔摩斯道:"结果总还算得圆满。

"But I certainly did not know that the Aurora was such a clipper."

可是我没想到那只'曙光' 号竟有这般的速度。"

"Smith says she is one of the fastest launches on the river,

琼斯道:"据斯密司说,'曙光'号是泰晤士河上最快的汽船之一,

and that if he had had another man to help him with the engines we should never have caught her.

假若当时还有一个人帮他驾驶的话,我们就永远也追不上它了。

He swears he knew nothing of this Norwood business."

他还赌咒说他对诺伍德的惨案一点也不知道。"

"Neither he did," cried our prisoner, "not a word.

我们的囚犯喊道:"他确是毫不知情的,

I chose his launch because I heard that she was a flier.

因为听说他的船快,所以我向他租用了。

We told him nothing; but we paid him well,

我们什么也没有告诉他,只是出了大价钱。

and he was to get something handsome if we reached our vessel, the Esmeralda, at Gravesend, outward bound for the Brazils."

如果他能够把我们送上在葛雷夫赞德停泊的开往巴西去的翡翠号轮船,他还可以另外得一大笔酬金。"

"Well, if he has done no wrong we shall see that no wrong comes to him.

琼斯道:"如果他没有罪行,我们会从轻处理的。

If we are pretty quick in catching our men, we are not so quick in condemning them."

我们虽然捉人迅速,可是我们判刑是慎重的。"

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/femstaqjsy/533268.html