单身贵族案 02贵族来信(2)(在线收听

"Here is a very fashionable epistle," I remarked as he entered.

在他进屋时,我说:"这儿有一封非常时髦的书信。

"Your morning letters, if I remember right, were from a fish-monger and a tide- waiter."

如果我没有记错的话,你早晨的那些来信是一个鱼贩子和一个海关检查员写的。"

"Yes, my correspondence has certainly the charm of variety," he answered, smiling,

"对,我的信件肯定具有丰富多彩引人入胜的地方,"他笑着回答说,

"and the humbler are usually the more interesting.

"通常越是普通的人写来的信越是有趣。

This looks like one of those unwelcome social summonses which call upon a man either to be bored or to lie."

可是这封看来象是一张不受欢迎的社交上用的传票式的信,叫你不是感到厌烦就是要说谎才行。"

He broke the seal and glanced over the contents. "Oh, come, it may prove to be something of interest, after all."

他拆开了信封,浏览了信的内容。"噢,你来瞧,说不定倒是一件有趣的事呢!"

"Not social, then?" "No, distinctly professional."

"那么不是社交的了?""不,显而易见是业务性的。"

"And from a noble client?" "One of the highest in England."

"一位贵族的委托人写来的?""英国地位最高的贵族之一。"

"My dear fellow, I congratulate you."

"老兄,我祝贺你。"

"I assure you, Watson, without affectation,

"说实话,华生,我可以肯定对你说,

that the status of my client is a matter of less moment to me than the interest of his case.

对我来说,这位委托人的社会地位不是什么了不起的事情,我更感兴趣是他的案情。

It is just possible, however, that that also may not be wanting in this new investigation.

然而,在这件新案件的调查中,很可能关于他的社会地位的情况也还是不可或缺的。

You have been reading the papers diligently of late, have you not?"

你最近一直很仔细地在看报,是吗?"

"It looks like it," said I ruefully, pointing to a huge bundle in the corner. "I have had nothing else to do."

"看来好象是这样。"我指了指角落里的一大堆报纸沮丧地说,"我没有别的事可做。"

"It is fortunate, for you will perhaps be able to post me up.

"真走运,也许你能向我提供一些最新的情况。

I read nothing except the criminal news and the agony column. The latter is always instructive.

我是除了犯罪的消息和寻人广告栏之外,别的一概不看。寻人广告栏总是很启发人的。

But if you have followed recent events so closely you must have read about Lord St. Simon and his wedding?"

你既然那么留心最近发生的事,你必定看到过关于圣西蒙勋爵和他婚礼的消息吧?"

"Oh, yes, with the deepest interest."

"噢,是的,我是怀着莫大的兴趣来阅读这消息的。"

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/femstaqjsy/536928.html