TED演讲:网络暴力的失控(5)(在线收听

You know, another woman on Twitter that night, a New Statesman writer Helen Lewis,

那晚在推特上的还有New Statesman杂志的作家海伦·刘易斯,

she reviewed my book on public shaming and wrote that she Tweeted that night,

她给我关于众羞的那本书写了书评,她写到,当晚她也发个推文:

"I'm not sure that her joke was intended to be racist,"

“我不敢肯定她的笑话是藏有种族论用心的,”

and she said straightaway she got a fury of Tweets saying, "Well, you're just a privileged bitch, too."

马上她就收到一大堆回帖,说: “呵,那你跟她一样也是个养尊处优的母狗了。”

And so to her shame, she wrote, she shut up and watched as Justine's life got torn apart.

就这样,她写到,碍于羞愧,她就闭了嘴,静观贾丝婷的生活被瓦解了。

It started to get darker:

事情愈发糟糕:

Then came the calls for her to be fired.

接着就有人开始说该把她炒了。

Thousands of people around the world decided it was their duty to get her fired.

全球成千上万的人将把贾丝婷炒鱿鱼视为己任。

Corporations got involved, hoping to sell their products on the back of Justine's annihilation:

商家也跑来凑热闹,希望能趁机兜售产品,都是顺着贾丝婷之途来的:

A lot of companies were making good money that night.

不少公司在那天晚上赚了一大笔。

You know, Justine's name was normally Googled 40 times a month.

贾丝婷的名字平时被谷歌的次数是每月40次。

That month, between December the 20th and the end of December, her name was Googled 1,220,000 times.

那个月,即12月20日至该月底,她的名字被谷歌了122万次。

And one Internet economist told me that that meant that

一位网络经济学家告诉说那意味着

Google made somewhere between 120,000 dollars and 468,000 dollars from Justine's annihilation,

谷歌从贾丝婷的毁灭中赚了约12万至46万8千美元。

whereas those of us doing the actual shaming -- we got nothing.

而我们这些喷子,连一个子儿都没拿到。

We were like unpaid shaming interns for Google.

我们就好像是谷歌的免薪喷子实习生似的。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/TEDyj/gjwtp/537995.html