PBS高端访谈:美国监狱老龄化严重 出狱生活不容乐观(在线收听

Returning to society after incarceration would, of course, be challenging for anyone, but the difficulties only multiply for older men and women coming out of prison.

当然,监禁后重返社会对任何人来说都是一种挑战,但对于出狱的老年男女来说,这种困难只会成倍增加。

Amna Nawaz reports on the many hurdles these individuals can face after decades behind bars.

Amna Nawaz报道了这些人在监狱生活几十年后可能面临的许多障碍。

How you doing, Dr. Shavit?

你好吗,沙维特医生?

Good. How's it going ?

还好。 进展得怎样 ?

So how's the fatigue been? Are you still feeling pretty tired?

你最近过得怎么样? 你还觉得很累吗 ?

Yes, I still am.

是的,我现在还是很累。

Malcolm is 74 years old. He suffers from degenerative rheumatoid arthritis and prostate cancer.

马尔科姆今年74岁。他患有退行性风湿性关节炎和前列腺癌。

I'm just going to take a quick listen to your heart.

我要抓紧听一听你的心脏。

Diseases he developed while serving 38 years in prison for murder and robbery.

在他因谋杀和抢劫入狱38年期间,他患上了疾病。

He was released just three months ago, and, so far, life on the outside hasn't been easy.

他三个月前才被释放,到目前为止,在外面的生活并不容易。

What are some of the challenges that you're facing day to day?

你每天面临的挑战是什么?

Handling things on your own.

自己处理事情。

Generally, incarcerated, everything is handled for you.

一般来说,在监狱里,一切都是为你安排好的。

Your medication is brought to you.

你的药被带到你面前。

You're told when to eat. You're told when you put a -- when to sleep.

你被告知什么时候吃东西。 你被告知什么时候该睡觉。

Things are more or less programmed for you.

事情或多或少都是为你安排好的。

Once you come out, you have to do things on your own.

一旦你出来了,你就得自己做事情。

And it's pretty hard. And it's pretty hard to get used to doing that.

这很困难。 要习惯这样做是很困难的。

Go head and relax your arm for me, please.

去吧,请放松你的手臂。

He says the health care he's getting now is much better than what he got in prison, but nearly four decades behind bars has taken a toll.

他说,他现在得到的医疗保健比他在监狱里得到的要好得多,但近四十年的牢狱生活落下了病痛。

I have the degenerative rheumatoid arthritis, as you can see by my hands. And I'm going to have, I think, knee surgery.

我患有退行性风湿性关节炎,你们可以从我的手看出来。 我想我要做一个膝盖手术。

And my feet are really -- are really bad.

而且我的脚真的,真的很疼。

Did anything else come up in your visits with him today

你今天去见他还有什么别的事吗

Dr. Shavit says Malcolm is a typical patient here at Transitions, a national network of nearly 50 nonprofit health clinics that serve people post-incarceration.

沙维特医生说,马尔科姆是“过渡”诊所的典型病人。“过渡”诊所是一个全国性的网络,由近50家非营利医疗诊所组成,服务于被监禁后的人们。

Our practice here, 66 percent of people have done 30 or more years in the state prison system.

按照我们的做法,66%的人在州监狱系统中服刑超过30年。

And what we know is that people age more quickly when they're incarcerated.

我们所知道的是,人们在被监禁时衰老得更快。

And so when we think of older adults, we actually think of people who are 55 and older who have been in the system.

所以当我们想到老年人的时候,我们实际上是在想那些已经在这个系统里的55岁以上的人。

Twenty years ago, people 55 and older made up just 3 percent of the U.S. prison population.

20年前,55岁及以上的人只占美国监狱人口的3%。

Today, that's grown to more than 10 percent. One major reason

如今,这一比例已超过10%。 一个主要的原因是什么

Tough-on-crime policies dating back to the 1990s that led to longer prison sentences.

上世纪90年代严厉打击犯罪的政策导致了更长的刑期。

So when people come out of prison or jail, everything's kind of all up in the air at the same time.

所以当人们走出监狱或监狱时,所有的事情都在同一时间悬而未决。

But it's even more difficult for older adults.

但对老年人来说就更难了。

People have been apart from the community for longer.

人们离开社区的时间更长了。

They have less connections in the community, less social supports and have more challenges in addressing some of their needs.

他们与社区的联系更少,社会支持更少,在满足他们的一些需求方面面临更多挑战。

The team here at Transitions tries to step in and meet the most pressing needs, not just medical.

过渡诊所的团队试图介入并满足最紧迫的需求,而不仅仅是医疗方面的。

That's why you have that little phone icon.

所以你才会有那个小电话图标。

There's technology training.

技术培训。

How you doing?

你正在做什么?

Help getting I.D.s and documentation...

帮助获取身份证和文件…

They didn't put my middle name on the I.D. card.

他们没有把我的中间名写在身份证上。

And access to food.

以及获取食物的途径。

We also got some chicken too.

我们也得到了一些鸡肉。

Yes, chicken is OK too.

是的,鸡肉也可以。

A key part of this team?People who know what reentry after prison is like, people like 58-year-old Ron Sanders.

这支团队的关键是? 那些知道出狱后重返社会是什么样子的人,比如58岁的罗恩·桑德斯。

He battled addiction and was in and out of prison during his 20s on drug charges.

他与毒瘾作斗争,在20多岁时因毒品指控多次入狱。

So, imagine somebody's been locked up for 20, 30, 40 years. It's good to have somebody to help you guide you along.

想象一下,有人被关了20,30 ,40年。 有人帮你引导你是件好事。

Is this your first time going to Walgreens to get the medications

这是你第一次去沃尔格林取药吗

No, this is not the first time, but it's the first time I'm going to get a refill.

不,这不是第一次,但这是我第一次去续取。

He's been working at Transitions for 15 years as a community health worker, and spends a lot of time building connections and trust with patients often skeptical of the system.

作为一名社区卫生工作者,他在“过渡”诊所工作了15年,花了很多时间与经常对系统持怀疑态度的病人建立联系和信任。

Why do you think they trust you?

你觉得他们为什么信任你?

Because they know I came from the same place they came from. I have been in those shoes before.

因为他们知道我和他们来自同一个地方。 我以前也经历过这种情况。

And I know. And, also, I know how scary it is just getting out.

我知道。 而且,我知道出去有多可怕。

And especially when you get out and you don't have any, like, family support or anything, it's really tough.

尤其是当你出狱时,你没有任何家庭支持或任何东西,这真的很艰难。

But for older adults exiting prison, this level of support is rare.

但对于出狱的老年人来说,这种程度的支持是罕见的。

Few clinics like this exist across the country.

全国很少有这样的诊所。

And the ones that do are often located in urban areas.

而那些能做到的通常都位于城市地区。

For people who need longer-term medical care, the options are even more limited.

对于需要长期医疗护理的人来说,选择就更有限了。

Being away for a while, I was really scared.

离开一段时间后,我真的很害怕。

Leticia is a 67 year-old woman who suffers from mental health disorders and lymphedema, which causes swelling of the arms and legs.

莱蒂西亚是一名67岁的妇女,患有精神疾病和淋巴水肿,这导致手臂和腿部肿胀。

She served 17 years in prison for murder. She asked us not to use her last name.

她因谋杀入狱17年。 她让我们不要用她的姓。

I have PTSD, and I had deep depression, and I was very, very disturbed.

我有创伤后应激障碍,我有严重的抑郁症,我非常非常不安。

In 2019, she was released from prison, and discharged to 60 West, a privately-owned nursing home in Rocky Hill, Connecticut, with 95 beds.

2019年,她从监狱获释,出院到“60 West”,这是康涅狄格州洛基山的一家拥有95张床位的私人疗养院。

Opened in 2013, 60 West is funded mainly by the state of Connecticut and its Medicaid system.

“60 West”于2013年开业,主要由康涅狄格州及其医疗补助系统提供资金。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/pbs/sh/543116.html