英文演讲录 夏奇拉:关注儿童发展(3)(在线收听

We engaged the government as our strategic partner, and we made it nearly impossible for them to say, 'No' to doing their part.

我们让政府作我们的战略合作伙伴,我们让他们几乎不可能对自己的工作说“不”。

So the transformation in these communities could be seen immediately from the jobs generated to the hope-inspired, but the improvements to the infrastructure were jaw-dropping.

然后这些社区的转变立竿见影,从创造的就业机会激发希望,基础设施的改善简直令人惊掉了下巴。

Electricity and potable water were made accessible.

电力和饮用水得到普及。

Roads were paved.

道路都铺好了。

Malnutrition plummeted.

营养不良现象急剧下降。

And the best part of all, the students responded academically so well.

最棒的是,学生们在学业上的反应非常好。

That, now those kids who could have been recruited by guerrillas or drug traffickers are on the way to the university or are in the university as we speak or are thriving their communities.

现在,我们说话的时候,那些可能被游击队或毒贩招募的贫困孩子正在去大学的路上,或者就在大学里,或者在建设繁荣他们的社区。

So now I don't have to call the government as often, thank God.

所以现在我不用经常打电话给政府了,感谢上帝。

Now they call us wanting to build more schools, wanting to invest more.

现在他们说想建更多的学校,想要投资更多的学校。

So I'm not suggesting it's easy.

当然我并不是说这很容易。

But there is an exit strategy, a strategy to poverty, and it's getting those 250 million kids who are at risk, who need access to quality ECD programs.

但是有一个结束战略,一个消除贫困的战略,让2.5亿处于危险中的儿童,获得高质量的早期发展。

So they get in school and stay in school.

所以他们去上学,然后呆在学校里。

We have to push governments to invest more, honestly.

老实说,我们必须推动各国政府增加投资。

We have to invest in campaigns for public awareness.

我们必须投资提高公众意识的运动。

We have to make access to pre-K education free and we have to create a fund for education just like AIDS and Malaria and Tuberculosis have their own fund.

我们必须让学前教育免费,我们必须建立一个教育基金,就像艾滋病、疟疾和结核病一样,有自己的基金。

I know I can sound vehement as Bono once called me, and because I am.

我知道我听起来像波诺曾经号召我的时候那么激烈,因为我就是。

He's completely right, and I know I can drive some people nuts with my insistence, but it's only because I'm so passionate, and the reason why I am so passionate is because I've seen it with my own eyes.

他是完全正确的,我知道我的坚持会让一些人发疯,但这只是因为我太有激情了,而我之所以这么有激情是因为我亲眼所见。

I've seen what education can do, what the investment in education can do.

我看到了教育的作用,教育投资的作用。

Miracles!

奇迹!

And believe me, there is nothing more fun and satisfying than seeing a child who had almost no possibilities to succeed, flourish and thrive and perform well in life.

相信我,没有什么比看到一个贫困中的孩子成功、茁壮成长、在生活中表现出色更有趣和满足的了,这原来几乎是不可能实现的。

For me, it beats even winning a Grammy anyway.

对我来说,这比赢得格莱美好多了。

We can't press pass and ask those kids to wait to grow up until we have it all figured out.

我们不能按“通行证”,让那些孩子等着,长大,直到我们把一切都弄清楚。

There isn't a moment to lose.

一刻也不能浪费。

We need to invest in humans.

我们需要投资于人类。

It's the smart thing to do, the strategic thing to do and the just thing to do.

这是明智的做法,是战略性的做法,也是公正的做法。

Thank you.

谢谢。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/ywyjl/544526.html