纪录片《美国商业大亨传奇》 掌控全局(57)(在线收听

When I came into the oil industry, there was chaos.

当初我进入石油业的时候 场面混乱

I brought order.

我带来了秩序

I took a second rate, inefficient market and built an industry.

我在一个二流的低效的市场中建立起一个产业

It was done the way it was because that's the way it had to be done.

之所以采取一些手段是因为别无选择

No one complained when I brought light into every home.

当我将光明带给千家万户时没人抱怨

No one complained when I provided thousands ofjobs, or millions of dollars from exports.

当我提供成千上万的就业机会 或者数百万美元的外汇时也没人抱怨

Oil is what this country runs on.

国家的运行靠的就是石油

You call it monopoly, I call it enterprise.

你们说是垄断 我说这是事业

Now, you tell me, why am I here?

告诉我 你们凭什么告我

As the court adjourns to deliberate Rockefeller can only await his company's fate.

法庭休庭考虑时 洛克菲勒也只能等待对他公司命运的宣判

Hundreds of miles away a new kind of businessman, Henry Ford, also waits.

数百英里之外的新型商人 亨利·福特也在等待

A panel of federal judges will decide whether Ford can continue to freely manufacture and sell his model A car.

联邦法官组成的小组将决定福特是否可以继续自由地制造出售他的A型车

The association of licensed automobile manufacturers is suing Ford for a royalty on every car he sells.

授权汽车制造商协会起诉福特 要求他卖的每一辆车 都要支付特许权使用费

Ford knows those royalties would drive up the cost of his car putting it out of the reach for the average consumer.

福特知道这些费用会抬高成本 那样的话 普通消费者就买不起他的车了

For most early car makers, the lawsuit would be a devastating setback, but for Ford it's something different--an opportunity.

对于大多数早期的汽车制造商 这样的诉讼是一场毁灭性的打击 但对于福特却是一个机会

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/jlpmgsydhcq/554246.html