VOA词汇掌故2023 "望尘莫及"用英语怎么说?(在线收听

And now, Words and Their Stories, from VOA Learning English.

欢迎收听VOA慢速英语《词汇掌故》节目。

Dust is very small pieces of earth or other matter.

灰尘是非常小的泥土或其他物质。

It is so fine it floats in the air. And it gets everywhere.

灰尘非常细小,可漂浮在空中。灰尘无处不在。

Inside, it covers our floors, our belongings, and other surfaces.

在室内,灰尘覆盖了我们的地板、我们的物品和其他东西的表面。

Outside, it covers things as well.

在室外,它也覆盖了许多东西。

And a small wind can blow dust into our eyes and mouth.

一阵小风就能把灰尘吹进我们的眼睛和嘴里。

When we drive a car on dry ground, it can create a dust cloud.

当我们在干燥的地面上开车时,会产生尘土。

And when we run in a foot race, we can kick up a lot of dust, too.

当我们跑步比赛时,我们也会踢起很多灰尘。

That is why we have the expression eat my dust.

这就是我们有短语“eat my dust(望尘莫及)”的原因。

It means you are ahead of someone.

它的意思是你领先于某人。

They are behind you and must deal with the dust you have made.

他们在你身后,必须应对你制造的灰尘。

Sometimes, we also say watch my dust.

有时,我们也说“watch my dust”。

This means you are so sure of winning that you are telling others they will lose.

它的意思是你非常肯定自己会赢,你会告诉别人他们会输。

We often use these expressions to talk about a race or a competition.

我们经常用这些短语来谈论比赛。

Using the same reasoning, if you leave someone in the dust, you have left them far behind.

同样的道理,leave someone in the dust的意思是你把他们远远甩在了后面。

Again, you have won some kind of competition and you have won big!

你赢得了某种比赛,而且你大获全胜!

However, if something bites the dust, it has failed.

然而,如果某东西“bite the dust”,意思是它出故障了。

To bite the dust can mean suffering defeat.

bite the dust的意思是失败。

It can also mean something comes to an early end or is no longer useful.

它还可以表示某事物提前结束或不再有用。

For example, if my old car dies on a long road trip, I can say my car bit the dust.

例如,如果我的旧车在一次长途旅行中坏了,我可以说我的车报废了。

In the past ten years, many technologies have bitten the dust.

在过去的十年里,许多技术都失败了。

Sometimes, this expression means death in battle.

有时,这个短语的意思是在战斗中丧生。

But used this way, bite the dust is very informal and not respectful.

但这样使用,bite the dust是很不正式的,也是不尊重的。

Our last "dust" expression is when the dust settles.

我们最后一个关于“dust”的短语是尘埃落定。

In a dust storm, it is very difficult to see.

在沙尘暴中,很难看清。

When the dust settles, you can finally see clearly.

当尘埃落定时,你终于可以看清楚了。

So, we use this expression to talk about the calm and clarity that comes after a big change or time of confusion.

所以,我们用这个短语来谈论在大变化或混乱之后的平静和清晰。

We often use it as advice or a warning.

我们经常用它作为建议或警告。

It is often a good idea to wait for a situation to calm down before making a big decision.

在做出重大决定之前,等待局势平息下来通常是个好主意。

For example, let's say you are moving to a new city and changing jobs.

例如,假设你要搬到一个新城市,换工作。

You will be very busy.

你会很忙的。

So, you can tell your friends that you will contact them when the dust settles.

所以,你可以告诉你的朋友,当尘埃落定时你会联系他们的。

In other words, you will contact them when things calm down.

换句话说,你会在事情平息后联系他们。

And that's Words and Their Stories. Have fun using these "dust" expressions! Until next time … I'm Anna Matteo.

以上就是本期《词汇掌故》节目的全部内容。希望你在使用有关“dust”的短语时玩得开心!我是安娜·马特奥。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/voa/2023/chzg/560766.html