Dave: It's 1) crunch time, isn't it? I wasn't 2) nervous before the meeting, but now I am.
戴夫:这是难关,对吧? 我开会前还不紧张的,但现在我紧张了。
Elvin: No kidding. Time is running out.
艾文: 一点不假。时间越来越紧迫了。
Dave: It would help to bring in a couple more 3) troubleshooters.
戴夫: 若是再找几个难题顾问来解决问题,可能会有帮助。
Elvin: Vince says he can't 4) afford anybody else. We're got to 5) come through.
艾文: 文斯说他请不起人了。我们得要自己撑过。
Dave: Do you think we'll make it?
戴夫: 你觉得我们会成功吗?
Elvin: I guess we'll either make it, or we won't.
艾文: 我猜我们要么就搞定,否则就完蛋了。
语言详解
A: Dad! I love that car.
爸!我好爱那辆车。
B: Me too. But we can't afford it.
我也是。不过我们买不起。
【Time is running out. 时间越来越紧迫了。】
run out 表示“耗尽、到期、届满”,而 run out of 是“将……用光、缺乏”,前者不能接名词,而后者一定接名词或动名词。
A: We'd better hurry. Time is running out.
我们最好快一点。时间快到了。
B: But we have to find a gas station first. We are running out of gas.
但是我们必须先找个加油站。汽油快用光了。
A: Why didn't we use the other car?
为什么我们没有用另外那部车子呢?
1) crunch time (n.) (俚)关键时刻,危机困境。
2) nervous (a.) 感到紧张的
3) troubleshooter (n.) 解决麻烦问题的能手。
4) afford (v.) 负担得起
5) come through 度过难关
更多内容:网络社交英语
|