生活大爆炸第一季第十七集_3:The Tangerine Factor
时间:2014-12-02 07:00:11
搜索关注在线英语听力室公众号:tingroom,领取免费英语资料大礼包。
(单词翻译)
-Penny:Leonard might come home.
Leonard可能快回来了。
Can we talk in my apartment?
能到我的公寓里谈吗?
-Sheldon:We're not done?
还没说完?
-Penny:No.
没有。
-Sheldon:Eh, why not?
哎呀,好吧。
We're already through the looking glass anyway.
through:通过 looking glass:窥镜
反正也不是没去过 ( "爱丽丝镜中奇遇"指Penny的房间)。
-Penny:Okay, so here's the thing...
好的,事情是这样的...
I guess you're aware that Leonard asked me out.
aware:知道
我猜你知道Leonard约我出去了。
-Sheldon:Well, he didn't actually say anything,
是的,他并没有说什么,
but when he came back to the apartment he was doing a dance that brought to mind
但他回到房间的时候,他跳的舞让我想起了
the happy hippos in Fantasia.
hippos:河马 Fantasia:幻想曲
沉浸在幻想曲中的快乐河马。
-Penny:Oh, that's nice.
那还挺窝心的。
Anyhow, the thing I wanted to talk to you about
无论如何,我想跟你谈谈,
is, you know, since Leonard and I have become friends...
关于你知道自从我和Leonard成为了好朋友...
I was just...
我只是...
You want to sit down?
你想做坐下么?
-Sheldon:Oh, I wish it were that simple.
simple:容易的,简单的
那么容易就好了。
See, I don't spend much time here,
瞧,我不经常来这,
and so I've never really chosen a place to sit.
所以我从没真正挑过一个坐的地方。
-Penny:Well, choose.
那挑啊。
-Sheldon:There are a number of options, and...
option:选择
有好几种选择,而且...
I'm really not familiar enough with the cushion
densities1,
familiar with:熟悉 cushion:垫子 densities:密度
我真的不熟悉这里垫子的密度,
air flow patterns and dispersion of sunlight
air flow:气流 patterns:形态 dispersion:散布 sunlight:阳光
气流形态和日光的分布,
to make an informed choice.
informed:有根据的
没法做出合适的选择。
-Penny:All right why you just pick one at
random2
at random:任意的,随便的
好吧,为什么不随便选一个,
and if you don't like it you can sit somewhere else next time.
如果不喜欢,下次再换个地方好了。
-Sheldon:No, no. That's crazy.
不,不,那太疯狂了。
You go ahead and talk while I figure it out.
figure it out:弄明白
你继续说,你边说我边想。
-Penny:Okay.
好吧。
Um, here's the thing.
呃,是这样的。
So I've known for a while now that Leonard has had
for a while:暂时
我刚刚知道Leonard
a little crush on me...
crush on:迷恋
对我有点意思...
-Sheldon:a little crush?
有点意思?
Well, I suppose so-- in the same way Menelaus
Menelaus:梅涅劳斯(斯巴达王)
可能吧-- 就像梅涅劳斯(斯巴达王)
had a "little crush" on Helen of Troy.
Helen:海伦娜(特洛伊皇后) Troy:特洛伊
【斯巴达王与海伦之间的爱情故事引起了历史上著名的特洛伊战争】
对特洛伊的海伦娜也"有点意思"。
-Penny:All right, yeah, I don't really know who they are, but...
好吧,这样,虽然我不知道他们是谁,但是...
-Sheldon:Well, Menelaus was the brother of Agamemnon...
Agamemnon:阿伽门农,特洛伊战争中希腊军队的统帅
梅涅劳斯是阿伽门农的兄弟...
-Penny:I don't care. I don't care. Listen.
我不管,我不在乎,听着
The point is,
问题是,
Leonard isn't the kind of guy I usually go out with.
go out with:和…约会
Leonard不是我通常约会的那类型。
-Sheldon:Leonard isn't the kind of guy anyone usually goes out with.
Leonard不是任何人通常约会的那类型。
Would you be open to rotating the couch clockwise 30 degrees?
rotating:使某物旋转 couch:长沙发 clockwise:顺时针方向的
你介不介意把沙发顺时针旋转30度?
-Penny:No. What I'm saying is Leonard might be different in a good way.
不行,我的意思是Leonard的不同可能是好事。
Obviously, my usual choices have not worked out so well.
worked out:产生结果
很明显,我平常的选择也没有什么好结果。
-Sheldon:Your last one worked out well for Koothrappali.
你上一次的结果对Koothrappali来说很好啊。
He got a free iPod.
他弄到了一个免费的iPod。
Oh, glare.
刺眼。
-Penny:On the other hand, if things don't go well with Leonard,
再说了,如果跟Leonard也没有好结果的话,
I risk losing a really good friend.
risk:冒险
我可能会失去一个很好的朋友。
I mean, I'm guessing he's not looking for a fling.
fling:放纵
我是说我想他不是那种冲动的人。
He's the kind of guy that gets into a relationship
relationship:关系
他是那种谈恋爱
for, I don't know, like you would say, light years.
light year:光年
会保持... 我不知道,就像你们说的光年。
-Sheldon:I would not say that.
我不会那么说的。
No one would say that. A light year is a unit of distance not time.
unit:单位 distance:距离
没有人会那么说,一光年是距离单位不是时间单位。
-Penny:Thank you for the clarification.
clarification:澄清
多谢澄清。
-Sheldon:Draft.
通风口。
See, people hear the word "year" and they think duration.
duration:持续的时间
人们听到"年" 就会想到时间,
Foot-pound has the same problem-- that's a unit of work, not of weight.
尺磅也有这样的问题-- 这是功的单位不是重量的。
-Penny:Right. Thanks.
对,谢谢。
-Sheldon:Um, It's common mistake.
common:普通的,普遍的 mistake:错误
嗯,这是很普遍的错误。
-Penny:Not the first one I've made today.
不是我今天的第一个错误了。
-Sheldon:Okay.
好了。
I think this will be my seat.
seat:座位
我想我就坐这儿了。
-Penny:Sheldon, do you have anything to say that has anything to do with, you know,
Sheldon你想的话里有没有和...你知道
what I'm talking about?
和我说的事有关系的?
-Sheldon:Well, let's see...
让我想想...
We might consider Schrodinger's cat.
Schrodinger:薛定锷,生于奥地利维也纳,1910 年获维也纳大学博士学位。
我们可以想想薛定锷猫态 (量子力学的一个理想化实验)。
-Penny:Schrodinger?
薛定锷?
Is that the woman in 2A?
是2楼A座住的那个女的?
-Sheldon:No, that's Mrs. Grossinger.
不,那是Grossinger夫人,
And she doesn't have a cat, she has a Mexican hairless.
Mexican:墨西哥的 hairless:无毛的
而且她不养猫,她养了一只墨西哥无毛犬。
Annoying little animal. Yip, yip, yip, yip.
Yip:犬吠
讨厌的小动物,耶噗,耶噗,耶噗,耶噗。
-Penny:Sheldon
Sheldon。
-Sheldon:Sorry, you diverted me. Anyway, in 1935,
divert:使转移
对不起,你分散了我的注意力,总之在1935年
Erwin Schrodinger, in an attempt to explain
in an attempt to:试图,力图
埃尔温·薛定锷为了阐明
Copenhagen:哥本哈根 interpretation:解释,诠释 quantum physics:量子物理学
量子物力学的哥本哈根解释,(以玻尔为首的一帮科学家作出的,围绕概率解释、不确定性原理和互补原理这三大核心展开的量子论)
he proposed an experiment where a cat is placed in a box
propose:提议
他设计了一个实验,把一只猫放在盒子里,
with a sealed vial of poison that will break open at a random time.
sealed:密封的 vial:小瓶 poison:毒药 break open:摔破 random:任意的,随机的
还放了一密封的毒气瓶,这个瓶子会在不确定的时间打碎,
Now, since no one knows when or if the poison has been released,
release:释放
然后因为没有人知道毒气何时释放或者是否被释放出来了,
until the box is opened,
所以直到你掀开盒子之前,
the cat can be thought of as both alive and dead.
那只猫可以认为是既活着又死了。
-Penny:I'm sorry. I don't get the point.
point:重点
对不起,我没明白你的重点。
-Sheldon:Well, of course you don't get it; I haven't made it yet.
你当然不明白,我还没说重点呢。
You'd have to be
psychic4 to get it, and there's no such thing as "psychic."
psychic:通灵
你得会通灵才能明白,而世界上根本没有"通灵"这回事。
-Penny:Sheldon, what's the point?!
Sheldon重点是什么?!
-Sheldon:Just like Schrodinger's cat,
就像"薛定锷猫态"一样。
your potential relationship with Leonard right now
potential:潜在的
现在你与Leonard之间潜在的关系,
can be thought of as both good and bad.
可以说,既是好事又是坏事。
It is only by opening the box that you'll find out which it is
find out:发现,看穿
只有打开盒子你才知道到底是怎么样的。
-Penny:Okay, so you're saying I should go out with Leonard.
好的,你的意思是我应该和Leonard出去。
-Sheldon:No, no, no, no, no.
不,不,不,不,不。
Let me start again.
让我从头讲一遍,
In 1935, Erwin Schrodinger...
在1935年埃尔温·薛定锷...
-Leonard:Two seats right there.
那儿有两个座位。
-Sheldon:Chung shu shway?
长寿石灰? (可能本来想说"社会主义万岁")
Shay shay.
谢谢。
-Leonard:Sheldon, I think I've made a mistake.
Sheldon我觉得我错了。
-Sheldon:I Can see that.
我看出来了。
Unless you're planning on running a marathon,
marathon:马拉松
除非你打算跑马拉松,
on choosing both stuffing and
mashed5 potatoes
stuffing:馅饼 mashed potatoes:土豆泥
点了土豆馅饼又点土豆泥,
starch:淀粉 redundancy:过剩
完全是淀粉过剩。
-Leonard:No, it's about Penny.
不,是有关Penny的。
-Sheldon:A mistake involving Penny.
involving:关于
有关Penny的错误...
Okay, you'll have to narrow it down.
narrow down:使变窄,使缩小
好吧,你得再把范围缩小点。
-Leonard:I don't think I can go out with her tonight.
go out with:和…约会
我觉得我今天晚上没法和她出去。
-Sheldon:Then don't.
那就别去了。
-Leonard:Other people would say "Why not?"
要是别人会问"为什么?"。
-Sheldon:Other people might be interested.
要是别人可能会感兴趣。
-Leonard:I'm going to talk anyway.
反正我要说。
-Sheldon:I assumed you would.
我猜也是。
-Leonard:Now that I'm actually about to go out with Penny,
现在我真要和Penny出去了,
I'm not excited-- I'm nauseous.
nauseous:令人作呕的,厌恶的
我却不兴奋--我觉得令人作呕。
-Sheldon:Ah, then your meal choice is appropriate.
appropriate:适当的,恰当的
啊,那你点餐点对了。
Starch absorbs fluid which reduces the amount of
vomit7
Starch:淀粉 absorb:吸收 fluid:液体,流体 reduce:减少 vomit:呕吐物
淀粉会吸收液体,减少可用于
available for violent expulsion.
violent:剧烈的,强烈的 expulsion:喷出
猛然喷发的呕吐量。
-Leonard:Right.
对。
-Sheldon:You also made a common grammatical mistake.
grammatical:语法上的
你还犯了一个常见的语法错误。
nauseous:令人作呕的 nauseated:作呕的
你说"令人作呕" 但你的意思是"你觉得恶心"。
But go on.
不过继续。
-Leonard:Sheldon, this date is probably my one chance with Penny.
Sheldon这个约会可能是我跟Penny唯一的机会。
What happens if I blow it?
blow it:糟糕
如果我搞砸了怎么办?
-Sheldon:Well, if we accept your
premise9 and also accept the highly improbable assumption
premise:前提 improbable:不大可能的 assumption:假设
好吧,如果我们接受你所说的前提和那个极不可能的假设,
that Penny is the only woman in the world for you,
即认为Penny是这世界上你的唯一,
then we can logically conclude that the result
logically:逻辑地 conclude:得出结论
那么我们就可以逻辑地得出结论,
of blowing it would be that you end up a lonely, bitter old man with no
progeny10.
progeny:子孙,后代 bitter:痛苦的
搞砸了这次约会,你就会变成一个孤单痛苦、无子无孙的老男人。
The image of any number of evil lighthouse keepers
image:形象 evil:邪恶的 lighthouse keepers:灯塔看守人
我脑中出现了史酷比卡通里的,
from Scooby-Doo cartoons comes to mind.
Scooby-Doo:史酷比 cartoons:卡通
任何一个邪恶的灯塔看守者的形象。
跟你说一点用都没有。
-Sheldon:All right, what respond on my part
respond:回答
好吧,我怎么回答
would bring this conversation to a speedy conclusion?
conversation:交谈 speedy:快速 conclusion:结论
才能让这次对话尽快得出结论?
-Leonard:Tell me whether or not to go through with the date.
go through with:完成,把…进行到底
告诉我该不该继续这次约会。
-Sheldon:Scododinger's cat.
薛定锷猫态。
-Leonard:Wow, that's brilliant.
brilliant:有才气的
哇噢,太有才了。
You sound surprised.
你听起来很惊讶。
Ho-tsu shway zai li-toe.
嗯,猴子睡在里头 (好滋味在里头...)。
-Penny:Hi.
嗨。
-Leonard:Hi.
嗨。
-Penny:Come on in.
进来。
-Leonard:Thank you.
谢谢。
you look very nice.
你看起来真美。
-Penny:Thank you. So do you.
谢谢,你也很帅。
-Leonard:I made an 8:00 reservation.
reservation:预定
我订了8点的位子。
-Penny:Okay, Yeah, great. Listen, um...
好的,恩,很好,我说,呃...
maybe we should talk first.
也许我们应该先谈谈。
-Leonard:Oh. Okay.
好的。
But before you say anything, have you ever heard of Schrodinger's cat?
但是在你说之前,我想问你是否听说过薛定锷猫态?
-Penny:Actually, I've heard far too much about Schrodinger's cat.
实际上,我已经听了太多薛定锷猫态了。
-Leonard:Good.
很好。
-Penny:All right, the cat's alive. Let's go to dinner.
好吧,猫还活着,我们去吃饭吧。
-Sheldon:Bee ti tsai nar! Bee ti!
鼻涕在哪儿! 鼻涕!
-Waiter:Xing gan jing bi ti hou quai zoui quai zoui.
擤干净鼻涕后快走快走
-Sheldon:Zhe bu shi lui ding jiao ta che!
这不是柳丁脚踏车!
-Waiter:Crazy man. Call the police!
疯子,叫警察!
-Sheldon:Bu bie da gei tu shu guan. Bee ti tsai nar!
不必打给图书馆鼻涕在哪儿!
Man niu zai wo chuang shang! Hen duo hen duo man niu!
猛牛在我床上! 很多很多猛牛!
Ai yah!
哎呀!
分享到: