美国语文第四册 第191期:母亲的坟墓(1)
时间:2018-05-08 06:00:41
搜索关注在线英语听力室公众号:tingroom,领取免费英语资料大礼包。
(单词翻译)
It was thirteen years since my mother's death, 母亲已经去世十三年了,
when, after a long absence from my native village, I stood beside the sacred
mound1 beneath which I had seen her buried. 离开家乡十三年后,我站在了这片神圣的土堆旁,我曾亲眼看见她被埋葬在这里。
Since that mournful period, a great change had come over me. 从那悲伤的时刻以后,我的生活也已经发生了很大的变化。
My childish years had passed away, and with them my youthful character. 我的孩提岁月已成往事,青年时光也一去不返。
The world was altered, too; and as I stood at my mother's grave, 世界也发生了变化;当我站在母亲的坟墓前,
I could hardly realize that I was the same thoughtless, happy creature, whose cheeks she so often kissed in an excess of tenderness. 难以想象我曾经是天真无邪、快快乐乐的小孩子,是那个双颊被母亲无数遍亲吻的。
But the
varied2 events of thirteen years had not
effaced3 the remembrance of that mother's smile. 十三年的岁月也无法抹去记忆中妈妈的笑容。
It seemed as if I had seen her but yesterday—as if the blessed sound of her well-remembered voice was in my ear. 一切就好像是在昨天——我的耳畔依然响着她亲切的声音。
The gay dreams of my
infancy4 and childhood were brought back so distinctly to my mind that, 儿时和童年的梦境清晰地出现在脑海,
had it not been for one bitter recollection, the tears I shed would have been gentle and
refreshing5. 要不是一件痛苦的回忆,我流出的泪水一定是柔情似水和心旷神怡的。
The circumstance may seem a
trifling6 one, but the thought of it now pains my heart; 尽管发生的只是一件小事,却依然刺痛着我的心;
and I relate it, that those children who have parents to love them may learn to value them as they ought. 我描述它,就是希望那些依然享受着父母之爱的孩子们能珍惜这一切。
My mother had been ill a long time, and I had become so accustomed to her pale face and weak voice, 我的母亲长期生病,我也习惯了她苍白的脸色和微弱的声音,
that I was not frightened at them, as children usually are. 不再像孩子一般害怕。
At first, it is true, I
sobbed7 violently; but when, day after day, I returned from school, and found her the same, 开始的时候,我哭泣不止,可是日渐一日,当从学校返回,见到她和从前一样,
I began to believe she would always be spared to me; but they told me she would die. 我开始相信她会永远和我在一起,可是别人告诉我她快死了。
分享到: