生活大爆炸第七季:第20集:事业上失意的谢耳朵(上)
时间:2019-02-22 01:52:46
搜索关注在线英语听力室公众号:tingroom,领取免费英语资料大礼包。
(单词翻译)
I got to tell you, the more I read about the primordial1 gravity wave discovery, the more excited I get. 我必须得告诉你关于原初引力波的最新发现,我越想我就越兴奋
I know. Being an astrophysicist right now is like being a rock star. 我知道,现在当个天体物理学家就和做个摇滚歌手一样酷
Only without the sex. 就是没有性生活
What do you think about it, Sheldon? Meh. 谢尔顿,你觉得如何?咩
Are you kidding me? 开什么玩笑?
This may be the biggest scientific breakthrough of our lifetime. 这也许是我们有生之年最大的科学突破了
How can you, as a theoretical
physicist2, not care about this? 作为一个理论物理学家的你怎么一点都不兴奋呢?
Maybe it's because I'm not an elitist. 也许是因为我不是精英主义者吧
What I'd like to know is: How does this gravity wave breakthrough help the man on the street? 我想知道的是:引力波的发现怎么能帮助一个平凡的路人呢?
You know? Wh-Who's looking out for Joe Six-Pack and all his quantum physics concerns? 知道吗?谁会关心六肌青年和他对于量子物理的关切?
Oh, my God, you're jealous. 我的天哪,你在嫉妒
Why would I be jealous? Oh, I don't know. Maybe because the origin of the universe just got proven, 我有啥好嫉妒的?哦,我不知道,也许是刚刚有人证明了宇宙的起源
the Higgs field just got proven and you've been working on string theory for the last 20 years and you're no closer to proving it when you started. 希格斯场也刚刚被证明你在弦理论上苦苦耕耘了20载,但是和你刚刚开始的时候差不多毫无进展
Yeah. Well I have a lot on my plate. 没错,但是我忙得四脚朝天
We happen to live in a golden age of television. 我们正好处在电视发展的黄金时期
Excuse me, fellas. Sorry for
eavesdropping4, but there actually was some big string theory news today out of the Hadron Collider. 伙计们,打扰一下,不好意思偷听你们谈话,实际上今天强子对撞机也爆出了弦理论的重磅新闻
Really? Did they find evidence to support extra dimensions or supersymmetry? 真的?他们找到了支持超弦理论或者超对称的证据了?
No, but they did find evidence that you'll believe anything. 没有,不过他们证明了,跟你丫说什么你都能信
Why would you do that? 你为什么要这么做?
You're a string theorist as well. 你也是个弦理论家
Incorrect. I am a string pragmatist. 错了,我是弦实用主义者
I say I'm gonna prove something that cannot be proved, I apply for grant money, and then I spend it on liquor and booze. Later. 我说我要证明一些无法被证明的东西,申请项目资金,然后我就把钱花在买酒和豪饮上了。回见
Do you think he's right? 你们觉得他是对的?
Am I wasting my life on a theory that can never be proven? 我正在把我的生命去浪费在一个永远不会被证明的理论上面?
Maybe. But how great is Game of Thrones? 也许吧,但是,《权利游戏》真是好看哈?
Hey, you're up early. 嗨,你起得真早
I couldn't sleep. 我睡不着
I told you those Walking Dead pillowcases were a bad idea. 我早告诉你别用那套行尸走肉的枕套啊
No, that's not it. 不,不是这个原因
Is something bothering you? 有烦心事?
Yes, but you wouldn't understand. 恩,但是说了你也不懂
Oh, come on, try me. 别呀,说给我听听
All right. I've
devoted5 the prime of my life to string theory and its quest for the compactification of extra dimensions. 好吧,我把我的青葱岁月奉献给了弦理论以及因为它的多维性而要进行的紧致化工作
I've got nothing to show for it, and I feel like a fool. Okay. I get it. 我做到现在还是没什么成果,我觉着自己就像个傻瓜。好吧,我懂了
I mean, not all the jibber
jabber6 in the middle, but... 虽然中间的那段鸟语没听懂,但是
I know what it's like to put your heart and soul into something and get nothing out of it. 我知道那是什么感觉,你全身心地投入在某个东西里面但是却毫无结果
You mean your
acting7 career? No. 你是说你的表演事业?不
Your relationship with Leonard? No. 和莱纳德的恋情?不是
Your failed attempt to go back to college? No! 你回去读大学却没读成?不是
I'm saying you and string theory sound like a relationship, and I know what it's like to be in one and realize it's never gonna turn out the way you want. 我说的是你弦理论听起来就像谈恋爱一样,我知道开始一段感情,然后意识到永远这段感情不会得到你想要的结果的感觉
I said Leonard; you said no. 我说了是莱纳德,你说不对
I'm talking about other guys. Okay. 我说的是和别人。好吧
Well, what do you do? 那么,你是怎么办的?
You have to have the courage to end the relationship. 你必须有勇气去结束那段感情
You know? Break it off, shake hands, walk away. 知道吗?就是结束它,握个手,然后就走开
I don't know if I can do that. 我不知道我能不能做到啊
I know it's hard, honey, but in the end, that's how you grow. 宝贝,我知道这很难,但是这是你成长的必经之路
Penny, have you seen my good inhaler? 佩妮,你看到我的吸入器了吗?
Break it off, shake hands, walk away. 分了吧,握握手,然后走开
Hey, how's dating two women going? 嗨,同时和两个女人约会的如何?
Um, kind of hit a bump. 唔,不太顺利
When I was honest and told Emily she wasn't the only person I was seeing, it went great. 当我坦诚地告诉艾米丽她不是我唯一的约会对象的时候,她反应平静
So I tried the same thing with Lucy. And? 所以我把同样的话也告诉给了露西。然后?
She had mixed feelings. 她就纠结了啊,
But when I said, "Emily was cool with it. Emily's the best. Why can't you be more like Emily?" those feelings became less mixed. 但是当我告诉她,"艾米丽就觉得没事",艾米丽最棒了,为什么你就不能和艾米丽一样呢?她就不纠结了
Women. Who knows what'll set 'em off? 女人的暴脾气啊,一不小心就要爆啊
At least now I can focus all my energies on just one girl. 至少,我现在可以把我的所有精力放在一个女孩身上了
I hope I get to meet her as soon as possible. 我希望可以尽快地和她见面
Why the rush? She isn't going anywhere. 急什么?她又不会离开
She is. But I like that attitude. 她会的,但我喜欢你的心态
Gentlemen, is anybody interested in my old string theory books? 先生们,有没有人对我弦理论的旧书感兴趣的?
You're really going to do this? 你真的要这么干吗?
I am. Yeah, Penny
pointed8 out that what I'm going through is
essentially9 a breakup. 没错,是的,佩妮指出我正在经历本质上就是分手
And according to
Cosmopolitan10 magazine, one of the most effective techniques for moving on is to get rid of all
reminders11 of the relationship. 据《时尚》杂志说,继续新生活的最有效方法之一就是摆脱掉所有让你睹物思人的东西
You're reading Cosmo? Yes. 你看《时尚》杂志?对啊
as it turns out, there's an article, on how to get over a breakup in literally every issue. 事实证明,每一期里都会有文章讲怎么从分手中走出来
Anyway, it suggests that I set these on fire, but the smell of burning books reminds me of church picnics in East Texas. 反正,它建议我把这些扔火堆里,但烧书的味道会让我想起东德克萨斯的教堂野餐
What's this? Oh, that's just a doodle of a hyperelliptic Riemann surface. 这是什么?噢,那只是个超椭圆黎曼面的涂鸦而已
Oh, yeah. Wasn't that the basis of your postdoc fellowship? It was. 哦对了,那不是你博士后奖金的理论基础吗?没错
This seemed so elegant at the time, 那会儿这东西看上去好优雅啊,
but...now I realize I was just a simple country boy
seduced12 by a big city theory with variables in all the right places. 但...现在我发现我只是纯良乡村小男孩被大城市理论中的各种变量给引诱了
It's going to be okay. I know. 都会好起来的,我明白
As hard as this is, I have to move on. 道路虽艰难,生活须继续
I can't keep
postulating13 multidimensional
entities14 and get nothing in return. I have needs, too. 我不能一直假设多维实体然后无所回报了。我也是有需求的啊
So, you and Emily still together? 那,你和艾米丽还在一起吗?
I
spoke15 to Bernadette. She's free tomorrow night. Oh, okay, great. 我和伯纳黛特说啦,她明晚有空,哦,行,太好了
But if we're really gonna do a double date, then we have to go over some ground rules about Emily. 但如果我们真的要四人约会,那我得再说一遍关于艾米丽的基本原则
Like when it turns out she's made of rubber, I don't say anything? 比如说我发现她是橡胶做的,啥也不说吗?
She's very real. Oh, that's what it says on the box. 她是个大活人。哦,包装盒上也是这么说的
Right next to "dishwasher safe." 就写在"可用洗碗机清洗"旁边
See? This is exactly the kind of thing I'm worried about you saying in front of her. I promise I'll be on my best behavior. 看吧?我说的就是这个,我怕的就是你当她面这么说。我保证我举止得体
You better be. No jokes about how close I am with my dog. 最好这样,不能开玩笑说我和我的狗多亲密
Or the truth about how close I am with my dog. You got it. 也不能说出我们亲密的事实。没问题
No jokes about the year I took ballet. 也不能拿我那年上芭蕾课开玩笑
You took ballet? 你上过芭蕾课?
God, you never listen. 天啊,你从来就不听人家讲话啊
Are you sure you want to do this? 你确定你真要这么做?
The magazine articles suggest that one of the ways to get over a breakup is a new look. 杂志上说了,要熬过分手的方法之一就是换个新形象
Mmm. What about your old look, well-groomed ventriloquist doll? 额,那你的旧形象呢,美丽动人的口技娃娃吗?
"Oh, my God, I do look like that." Stop it! “天啊,我确实好像啊”够了
So, how do you want me to cut it? Oh, how about Bill Gates meets Nikola Tesla? 那,你想我怎么剪呢?噢,来个比尔·盖茨和尼古拉·特斯拉的混合版怎么样?
So, business in the front, science in the back. 那,前面是做生意的头型,后面是搞科学的
Or I don't cut it and maybe just style it a little. 要不我不剪它了,就给你做做造型好了
Oh, I'm in your hands. 噢,任你摆布了
Do a good job and I'll tell you Cosmo's ten
dynamite16 tips to enjoy your PMS. 好好干的话就告诉你《时尚》的十条重磅提示让你的经前综合症不再痛苦
Can you keep him quiet? Maybe jangle some keys in front of him? 你能让他安静点吗?要不在他面前不停摇钥匙串?
That doesn't work anymore. He just thinks I'm taking him to the doctor. 这已经不起作用了,他只会以为我要带他去看病
So, now that you're no longer invested in string theory, what are you gonna pursue? 那,现在你不再研究弦理论了,你打算投身哪个领域?
Oh, there are so many exciting areas: black holes, dark matter... Oh, Leonard was telling me about dark matter, but I didn't really understand it. 噢,还有好多激奋人心的领域呢:黑洞啦,暗物质啦...噢,莱纳德和我讲过暗物质,但我不太明白
Don't feel bad. Neither does he. 别难过,他也不明白
Okay... what do you think? 好了...觉得怎么样?
Have you ever even seen a picture of Tesla? 你看过特斯拉的照片吗?
It actually looks good, Sheldon. Doesn't it? Yeah. 其实看着不错啊,谢尔顿。对吧?是啊
I suppose I could see myself in a scientific boy band. 我觉得我这造型都够参加科研男孩儿组的乐队了
Of course, I'd be the dreamy one and the smart one. 当然啦,我是最梦幻也是最聪明的那个
Sorry I'm late. 不好意思来晚了
What did you do? 你这是怎么了?
I gave him a new look. It's cute, huh? 我给他换了个新造型,很帅,对吧?
Yeah, it's cute. That's the problem. 对,很帅,但这就是问题所在
I don't need other girls to see him walking around like sex on a stick. 我可不想让其他女孩一看到他就一个个欲火焚身啊
She's right. I'm too hot. 她说的对,我太性感了
I'm excited to meet Emily. 要见到艾米丽好激动
Me, too. I just hope he doesn't blow it. 我也是,我只是希望他别搞砸了
Why would you say that? 怎么这么说?
Because he's Raj-- that's his thing. 因为他是拉杰他最在行的就是这个啊
Beckham can bend it, Ralph can
wreck17 it, Raj can blow it. 小贝善于踢弧线球,拉夫善于搞破坏,拉杰善于办砸事儿啊
Look, I don't want it to happen, but
odds18 are he's gonna find a way to... Oh, crap, I know that girl. 哎,我可不希望他弄砸了啊,但很可能他会...噢,糟了,我认识那个女孩儿
How? In a bad way, very bad. 怎么认识的?方式惨烈,不忍直视
Hey, guys. Whatever you hear tonight, just remember I love you. Hey! 大家好啊。不管你今晚听到什么,记住我爱你。嗨!
Emily, these are my good friends, Howard and Bernadette. 艾米丽,他们是我的好朋友,霍华德和伯纳黛特
Guys, this is Emily. Nice to meet you. Hi. Hello. 这是艾米丽。很高兴认识你们。嗨,你好啊
Have we met before? 我们以前见过吗?
Uh... no. I-I don't... I don't... think so. 额...没有。我,我不...不觉得见过啊
You sure? You look familiar. 你确定吗?你看着好眼熟啊
Well, you sure don't. You I know, you I know, you? Total stranger. 你完全不眼熟啊,你我认识,你我认识,你?完全陌生嘛
Even if you had yummy candy, I would not get in your van. 就算你拿美味糖果来引诱,我也不会跟你上车的
Did you go to that spin class on Green Street? 你去过格林大街上的那个单车健身课程吗?
That must be it. Since when do you go to spin class? 肯定是因为这个啦。你什么时候开始参加单车健身课程的?
Wow. Now who doesn't listen? 来,看看是谁不懂得倾听啊?
Sheldon, your food's getting cold. What are you doing? Oh, looking through my textbooks for a new field of
inquiry19. 谢尔顿,你的食物要变凉啦,你在干嘛?在看我的教科书里有没有新的研究领域
Why do we have a geology book? 我们怎么会有一本地质学的书?
Leonard, did you throw a children's party while I was in Texas? 莱纳德,我去德州的时候你开儿童派对了吗?
分享到: